Cannot get out of it now !!

• 26 Replies

mrs bouquet

Cannot get out of it now !!
« on: January 24, 2022, 14:58 »
This Carpal Tunnel op.  I am dreading it, tomorrow at 9am.  PCR test is ok.  and I have been putting it off for 3 years.  Before that all the splints, injections etc.   Now I cannot hold a pen and write properly.  She (The Consultant) has told me if I don't go soon, I will lose the use of this right hand.    I am really worried about looking after myself upon my return.   I have nobody to do anything for me.  I wish I had thought to make and freeze a large pile of sandwiches.   I could eat one each day with a cuppa soup.  My biggest concern is not driving the car for a couple of weeks.  Dealing with hair and hygeine matters as well.  Also not being able to chatter with you.   And I have just had 4 bare rooted giant hostas arrive which were not due until March.   They are in a bit of soil in breathable bags.   I have opened the tops and they will have to take their chance.
I have just eighteen hours to go.  Of course, I might lose it when I get there and come home.  Oh dearie me.  Mrs Bouquet :D :unsure: :unsure:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

MrsPea

Re: Cannot get out of it now !!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 15:33 »
you'll be fine, good luck i had both mine done at the same time mind you i was a lot younger  :)
I Love my green house

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 16:20 »
You know, that you do have to get it done, or all those things you are worried about after the operation, will be permanent, if you do completely lose the use of that hand. So it would be very silly not to get it fixed.
Short-term pain for long-term gain - you know it makes sense...
Good luck for tomorrow - I'm sure you'll be fine (after you've given yourself a good talking to  :D )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 16:30 »
If you're really stuck for making something to eat you can order things from the Co op  or from takeaway places nearby for delivery from Deliveroo. Some delivery prices are more than others, so choose carefully ;)

https://deliveroo.co.uk/restaurants/worthing/worthing

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 16:32 »
I really hope things go ok for you and I'm sure they will and look on the bright side  your going to get good use of that right hand and don't worry we will all be thinking about you and missing your replies but you can catch up with us all when you recoup   ;)

good luck keep safe and well RW

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 17:25 »
You'll be fine Mrs B, best thing I ever did was get mine done. If you're stuck for food, there's plenty of takeaways online and even Greggs deliver now, including trays of sandwiches. The only downside I had with my cps was with the toilet and toilet roll, I won't go into any further details but needless to say it was an experience!  :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 17:28 »
Bless you for telling us Mrs B!

Care ye not, it'll be much better than you thought, and after a few seconds when it's done, you'll be getting better!

We're all thinking of you, so best frock on and forwards!

Much love,

Growster xxx
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 17:28 by Growster... »

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 17:51 »
It will be fine, it's the waiting that the worst part.  Sending hugs and love

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 19:06 »
All the best for tomorrow Mrs B.   As for afterwards, well every day will, I'm sure bring improvements. As others have suggested, perhaps you could order food online, or via phone take-out services. Perhaps putting a potato in the microwave and adding a good lashing of butter might be possible with limited mobility.  Maybe a couple of slices of toast with poached eggs?  Not easy to achieve I know, but it will depend on how you are afterwards. Maybe, before you go in tomorrow,  you could open a few tins of soup, beans, or other stuff that would keep in the fridge and not be too difficult to heat up.  I'm sure a short while with not such healthy food options won't hurt in the long run. If you were anywhere near me I'd make sure you were fed and had company for your recovery, but unfortunately that's not possible from where I am.
We'll all be thinking of you, and I'm sure you will be so glad you had it done once you've recovered.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 19:41 »
I still think if you're worried about the practical side of things after the op you should have a word with social services, it's what they're their for and they have a duty of care. There will be someone at the hospital who can give you advice before discharge.  Let someone else worry about the mundane things so you can concentrate of recovering as soon as possible.

Food wise there's always somewhere like Wiltshire farm foods they will prep real food into spoonable puree or the "little dish" ready meals for toddlers should be easy enough to eat one handed and only take a few minutes in the microwave.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 20:39 »
Thinking of you Mrs B, hope you manage to get some sleep tonight  :)

If you're going to open some tins in advance, best to decant the contents into a bowl with clingfilm - they'll go a bit metallic if you leave them in the tin for a few days.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 07:59 »
Best of luck Mrs. B.  Thinking of y o u this morning.   

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 08:00 »
Good luck for today, Mrs B!   I'll be thinking of you.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 10:54 »
I've been looking up carpal tunnel surgery, and the post op regime looks very similar to when I had an operation for Dupuytren's contracture 2 years ago.

I only had the tips of the fingers on my right hand available for the two weeks the bandage was on for, but that made an enormous difference when it came to tasks like cooking, making sandwiches and just about everything else where more than one hand was needed.

Washing up and showering was done with a freezer bag over my hand, secured with an elastic band at the wrist (2 bags actually, just to be on the safe side!  ;))

I'm sure you'll cope just fine Mrs. B, and be glad you went through with it.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 11:32 »
back home yesterday about 3pm.  all good, thanks for your replies. will write more fully later.   

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 47 queries.