New Hip

• 32 Replies

GraciesGran

New Hip
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:49 »
After 15 months of beating my head against a brick wall with my GP who diagnosed strained muscles and offered physio and pain killers all done via phone calls I'd had to give up driving, my part time job and voluntary work we decided to go private.

Orthopaedic surgeon was recommended, consultation and x-rays, you need a replacement which was booked for early January.  Phone call last saturday, there was a cancellation would Tuesday be suitable.

Went to theatre for the op at 10am, by 1pm I was eating a sandwich and by 3pm I was up and about using a zimmer.  Physio at 5pm, using crutches.  Three sessions of physio on Wednesday, came home this morning after another visit from the physio using a stick.

Was going to have a new kitchen this year but I can honestly say this was a better use of the money.

Goosegirl

Re: New Hip
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 12:22 »
I am so very pleased for you. I had my right one replaced a few years ago and have never looked back. I had the usual procedure but did you have the minimal invasive op as people recover far more quickly and easily?

I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 12:30 »
Yes fortunately.  I feel as if I've been kicked by a horse and it aches but that will go, most importantly the pain has gone.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 12:39 »
It's a sad case to have to spend money planned for other essentials on a new hip but I suspect the new hip will be at least as useful if not more so than a new kitchen. Hope that the kitchen is not a danger to life and limb mind.

At least with it being the winter season you have time to train the new hip ready for a slightly more active spring and summer. :)

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 16:22 »
Christine the kitchen is not a danger it's just badly planned and impractical.  The people we bought from were keen DIYers but their skills weren't as good as they thought!

The aim is to be back on the plot by end of February/early March.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 17:08 »
Great news for you, GaciesG!

I read a post elsewhere, when a chap's doctor couldn't see a patient for some weeks, so he decided to go private.

He got an appointment the very next day, and guess who was on the other end of the line..:0~

A lovely chum has had both hips done, and is now waiting on a new knee, but she's soldiering on as if nothing's happening! And she's back to work in the GC on Monday!

You gals are much better than us blokes at dealing with all this!

MrsPea

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 19:04 »
Thats good news gracie we decided to have our eyes done privatly instead of waiting 18 months for an appointment , so pleased with the out come next one end of January so we haven't waited long  :)

I Love my green house

wighty

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 20:23 »
That's lovely news, take it easy and don't push yourself too much, accept all the help you're offered.  The kitchen can wait, you've obviously put up with the one you've got for a few years so a bit longer won't matter.  Your health and well being is more important.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 20:49 »
So pleased that you’ve had a good experience & now are out of pain, my dad had his done under epidural & made a great recovery all round.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 06:47 »
Snowdrops same as me. 

Decent night sleep  in my own bed, what more can a girl ask for.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 21:52 »
Just catching up - glad it all went well, and hoping that you're continuing to make steady progress  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

GraciesGran

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 08:39 »
Session with the physio on New Year Eve

Oh boy!  Apparently I'm moving well enough not to need a stick in the house, I need 2 10 minute walks a day, time to be increased each day, try not to use the stick .  I've got more exercises to do. Her aim is to have me walking for half an hour twice a day within a fortnight

She looks about 16 but I know she'll succeed.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 09:24 »
Great attitude to have GGran, I’m sure you’ll both succeed  :)

Christine

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 16:50 »
Physios are a hardy breed you know, trained in getting us to do things we really would rather not do GGran. Two new knees have left me with a lifetime of experience.

But the guy on the village shuttle bus (an older gentleman) did his hip exercises as instructed with great success.

MrsPea

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 18:39 »
Physios are a hardy breed you know, trained in getting us to do things we really would rather not do GGran. Two new knees have left me with a lifetime of experience
I've also got 2 new knees and dont regret having them done, the only thing is i can not kneel on them even after 10yrs  :)

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.