Chatting on the Christmas Day Plot

• 61 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Chatting on the Christmas Day Plot
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 19:58 »
There are two different carol services from Kings' College Cambridge. As you say, there's the Festival of 9 lessons and carols on the radio which is usually recorded live today & broadcast on Radio 4 (90 minutes), and then transmitted again tomorrow (2 hours).

Then there was the Carol service (pre-recorded) that I was watching on TV this afternoon; it made me miss my Dad, who studied there and once played its organ.  :(

They are indeed part of Christmas, and they still feel special - even if different. :)

Mum and I may listen to the radio one tomorrow.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 19:59 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 20:21 »
Our fizz, one bottle for breakfast  :D and one for lunch,  has to go outside the back door and take it's chance with the weather.  I don't know why I bother pouring over recipe books in the run-up as we always end up eating exactly the same things on Christmas Day.  It wouldn't be 'right' otherwise. Have a lovely day everybody and stay safe.  Wighty.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 21:15 »
So we are all having a different kind of Christmas this year, but what is the one thing you have managed to hold onto that makes it for you ?

Could be a favourite food or drink, a special film you always watch or maybe something else.  I always have to have a bottle of fizz for Christmas Day and it is going into the fridge very soon  :D

It's just Mrs. Subversive, our 2 sons and myself, and our tradition is that I make a big breakfast (biscuits with sausage gravy, fruit, juice, coffee or tea). The boys will open gifts, Mrs. and I are donating to favorite local charities in lieu of presents (a.k.a. "stuff"). I've preferred the donations for a few years now, Mrs. decided to join me in 2020.

After breakfast, no one in our family cooks on Christmas!  St. Nick says so. We see a movie together, then order Chinese food (curb side carry-out). It's an online movie this year of course; usually it's at the cinema.  It's a fun, casual time with the family.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 21:18 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 21:47 »
Strange to think that we were both listening to the same thing at the same time so far apart.  I'd have liked to be sitting with a little drink at the time but I was cleaning the cooker.. which somehow is always my job and I've been promising to do tomorrow for a month :)
I believe it's only the second time it's not been broadcast live since they started broadcasting it in 1928, the chapel pre-dates radio a bit :)

I've been told by the Mrs. that if I say "I'll do that in a minute" I will always forget!
I didn't have a drink while you and I were listening (small world!), but I'm having a small Kentucky bourbon right now. Cheers to all of you!   :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Merry Christmas everyone
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 21:56 »
Happy Christmas everyone. Hope you and the loved ones have a reyt gradely one.
Stay safe, get hammered and fall asleep.

Enjoy
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GraciesGran

Re: Merry Christmas everyone
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2020, 07:19 »
Merry Christmas, have the best one you can in these unprecedented times. 

2021 just around the corner and Spring is on its way, gardening gloves at the ready and off we go.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2020, 07:59 »
Morning everyone  :)

Only me and the chickens up so far. OH still snoring.

Have the best day you can. Focus on the things that make you happy and don’t dwell on anything else.  Right now for me that is a cup of coffee and feet up on the sofa  :D

I am quite liking this relaxed Christmas so far  :)

Christine

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2020, 08:18 »
It snowed here yesterday up till mid afternoon. The hills were all white and the valleys were all wet cos it rained heavily Monday. Not quite a proper white Christmas. Ice today and wind tomorrow.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2020, 08:38 »
Good advice NS - I shall not worry about what I eat but will concentrate on investigating how one ounce of cake becomes one pound of weight  :)
Merry Christmas Everyone!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GraciesGran

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 08:54 »
Just walked the dog.  A surprising number of cars have appeared overnight, perhaps tier4 rules don't apply to everyone.  It's crisp and sunny and I'm going to enjoy the day.  My family are all in their bubbles and next year we will be in a big bubble together.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2020, 09:04 »
Merry Chrimble everyone on this bright and sunny morning. Tea and Panettone and Christmas music on the TV - what more do I need right now :)

(A better internet connection for the Terrace, is the answer - it's playing up this morning! Too many people on at once, perhaps?)

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2020, 09:11 »
Good morning everyone and merry Christmas

Lovely and sunny here (minus 1C). Stayed up last night to watch a live stream from St Chads cathedral (Birmingham). Our son and his partner sing in the choir there, only 16 of them so we could pick out their voices at times and we could see them from the back. Seems strange not having them over but we're rather enjoying the change.

Enjoy your day  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2020, 09:55 »
That must have felt very special, Blewit.

Happy Christmas all. About to do a zoom with Mum to open our presents. Then online church. Then family zoom with my brother and family in Brussels. Then zoom with Mum to eat lunch. Then off to a friend's for the afternoon.

Different, but making the most of it.

Sarah Millican is doing her usual #JoinIn on twitter - use the hashtag to join in with a whole community of other people just having a chat and preventing loneliness.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2020, 10:47 »
Just done the veg prep for lunch and there is a gammon joint in the oven for cold cuts later and over the next few days.

Pressies are opened.  Mine is not here yet (sob) but will be a Geopod propagator with grow lights when it finally gets here - estimated time of arrival mid January.  I got a bottle of handcrafted gin to keep me going in the meantime.  OH got new clothes that he wanted and his usual sweeties.  If there wasn’t a box of wine gums, he really would have felt hard done by  :lol:

Scaled back with everyone else as it put too much pressure on others when they were not confident at venturing out to the shops, so just a few really good things swapped in household and then none of the ‘stuff’ that we don’t need anyway.

Now feet up again for a bit and relax  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2020, 11:10 »
I realised about 2am that I'd forgotten to assemble a little extra for my grandson. A couple of plate pages from old books - one of rabbits and the other of the gnome hairdresser (as in hare dresser) in the woods - both over 100 years old - thanks Ebay. Then I had to get frames and some card to back them. So first job of the day.
What a fiddle about but done now. I don't think he'll be too excited now but one day he may look at them and think fondly of us.
I will start on the veg prepping soon, we may eat by midnight :)

xx
What is the plot giving you for Christmas?

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post December 24, 2019, 23:45
by snowdrops
xx
This Christmas, I got away with...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 11:16
by erikaz1
xx
What does Christmas Day REALLY mean to you >

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 23:06
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
My Christmas is now over

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2019, 13:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 52 queries.