Today I'm going to ...

• 261 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Re: Today I'm going to ...
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2020, 16:23 »
Today I did some cankerous trees, gave up on one as it looked like there was patches where branches had been. But there was a huge patch hidden under the bark, every limb had a patch every few inches and it's too advanced.  :(. I also weeded down there as well and I have a massive blister.
Husband re-edged and I weeded the 2nd 3rd of the border which was mostly overgrown grass and crowded strawberries so we replanted that bit. Replacing the old strawberries with their children and filling the space with 6 hyacinths-3 each of white and blue. Eldest helped with the planting which was lovely. I took more moss out of the lawn. We swapped one of the 3 currants in the corner with a larger one as everyone is tripping over it and taken the leaves off the original occupant. A red currant is in where we pulled out the slug infested blackcurrant. The borders have been fed, everything watered. NPK on the pot plants. Just manure is needed now.

6x Cherry bomb chillies were repotted. I need some more pots of the correct colour before I do the other 3.

Busy day.

What's left, just the manure on the potted currants.

Growster...

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2020, 18:17 »
Yesterday, my "I'm going to..." was watch One Man Two Guvnors on YouTube from the National Theatre at Home.  Absolutely brilliant and is available for another 6 days.  Then next week it's Jane Eyre.

Today, my "I'm going to..." was watch Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat on YouTube on The Show Must Go On channel.  Available for 48 hours.  Is it so very wrong that I'm a little in lust with Donny Osmond from 1999?!  :lol:

Thanks Yorkie!

The other night, we watched the last episode of 'To play the King', the second Michael Dobbs trilogy 'House of cards'!

It was so exiting - and scary, that the next morning (yesterday), we kept asking each other what happened etc, so we had to watch it again last night...

Wow, what an incredible prog that is, well worth a re-visit after twenty-five years, and often on Ebay!

wighty

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2020, 20:47 »
I'll join you Yorkie with the 'Donny ' moment.  I went to London and saw Philip schofield and Jason Donovan in the role but much prefer my video tape of Donny in the role.  Trouble is, the tellies we have now won't let us  plug in the video tape player   so it's just sat there taunting me.  You've made me really want to watch it now!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2020, 09:42 »
... Have a relaxing morning and perhaps a potter around in the greenhouse, then off to work.  I am finding my seed tin is even more essential than usual  :lol:  Even just flicking through it and planning what's next in my head is a great pastime  :)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2020, 11:50 »
Today I am going to finish that last 3rd of the front and pot up some seedlings. Some of which will sit outside with me to get toughened up. Mostly you leggy legumes.

We should go up the plot, but it's 30mph and the soil is as dry as dust. We haven't had decent rain since storm Ciara. Digging=soil+dust+wind+eyes=  :( and pain.

Also we planted 4 of the blue and white hyacinths, not 3.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2020, 08:26 »
Today I will add more scions to the tree out the back in the garden. I have some large potatoes chitting, I'll probably divide them before we leave.

Up the plot we are going up after breakfast and digging over the main body of the plot. Or what's left after planting all the fruit. That's for to grow potatoes, onions and beetroot. Dig it over, spread chicken pellets, NPK and leave until later this week and hope we get some rain to activate it. I watered in the garden yesterday and an hour later the Husband was working on the same patch and told me he wouldn't know it's been watered if he hadn't seen me do it. We haven't had proper rain since Storm Ciara, I think one heavy shower and a handful of hail showers, but they didn't drop much moisture. The soil is like a biscuit up the plot. This week we're 5x chances for a light shower, but less than a 40% of it happening. 

We have onion sets and seeds so we may plant some of them and cover with fleece to keep the super lardy wood pigeons from eating them. I have a mystery plant to plant. It's more than likely a Jostaberry that we put in the lawn that the Husband and kids kept tripping over, so had to be taken out of the garden.

To bring,
seeds-onion + beetroot, onion sets, rake, 3 tine cultivator, the plant, gloves. Change of child clothes, something for them to drink. Wet wipes, spray, hand wash (latter 2 in the car). Tub to carry chicken manure around in.

Modify, string, bring string for to plan out the drills.
Modify again, check shed for seed trays and make up more salad greens. If there is no trays up there sow in the tops of egg boxes because there are no plant pots. Also plant the perennial spinach sorrel in the corner between the autumn rhubarb.
Modify again, bring up the moss I dragged out of the lawn and the edging soil.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:20 by WeavingGryphon »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2020, 12:51 »
Do much the same as yesterday and the day before.   My life seems to have become one of "Manyana"   Dont't know how to spell that", but you all know what I mean.    Read the paper, chat to you folk, go for a walk round the village.   Must cut finger nails today.    Do an hour or so cutting back in the garden.    My laughing treat for the day is late afternoon, ITV 4, "Minder".   Poor old Arthur !!!      :lol: :lol: Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2020, 13:57 »
"ITV 4, "Minder".   Poor old Arthur !!!  "

Peter Childs, Inspector Ronnie Rycott to you, used to live a few yards from here, and he liked a pint or three, and always chatted with us whenever he could, with a lot of fun and humour!

Once, quite a few years ago, I was having a beer with a chum in a famous London pub, 'The Castle', near to the BBC rehearsal rooms in North Acton, and there was Peter, with lots of easily recognisable actor chums, regaling everyone about the good things in life, and everyone was having a great time.

When he spotted me across the bar, he immediately called me over and introduced me to everyone in his group, including the landlord, who actually lived in Brighton, and drove to his pub in his Rolls Royce every day! Of course, I was dumbstruck, and, what was so nice was, afterwards, the landlord always treated me as a chum, and Peter was always the same - sadly until he got some nasty disease far, far too early.

His wife, Jackie, moved away a few years later, after running a chaotic allotment here, much to the chagrin of all the old boys who moaned about her all the time, but she cared not a jot! Great lady too, and also great fun!

jezza

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2020, 15:47 »
Hello I've been to hospital so can't do a lot now  jezza

Growster...

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2020, 21:08 »
Hello I've been to hospital so can't do a lot now  jezza

Come back here, Jezza, we need you!

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2020, 08:52 »
Get dressed.
Allotment again, it was really busy yesterday. Today's aim is not to hurt myself, remember painkillers, get as much done as we can. Husband wants to start planting the potatoes. He's the one who can judge distances so it's up to him.

Fork over the soil and rake, take up more garden stuff=-leave some for the birds as the garden is heaped with birds taking some, spread over the rubbish plot, mark drills, leave Eldest and Husband to put potatoes in, make sure Husband still has string

Take up the plant I forgot, the tool box, check tape measure is in place, chalk to mark drills, rake, 3 tine cultivator, juice for kids. Fill the beer fermenter with water to take up as all our newly put in plants are wilting. potatoes, cut the huge potatoes including Mr PURPLE and one is called. Biscuits maybe, kids briefly complain less when their mouths are full, bubble rods. Cover the onions and beetroot with fleece to keep the lardy pigeons off (one face planted it's crop was that full).

Growster...

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2020, 14:34 »
...put my feet up this arvo, as I potted on seventy-five leeks according to the edict of DD, who is both a pea god and leek god, and felt shattered at all the sitting down, dibbling, singing to myself, and generally becoming a bit of a nuisance to everyone until lunchtime, when I became only a nuisance to Mrs Growster and JRT...

Christine

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2020, 15:11 »
Sit down like Growster after turning an enormous compost heap and watering loads. I promise not to annoy Mrs G and JRT cos I don't have the energy yet. 

Growster...

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2020, 17:56 »
Sit down like Growster after turning an enormous compost heap and watering loads. I promise not to annoy Mrs G and JRT cos I don't have the energy yet.

I bet; that's an exhausting job, so enjoy the inside of the eyelids for a while...

grinling

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2020, 20:22 »
swept back patio, jet washed back patio and furniture.

xx
But today got better !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 19:00
by grinling
xx
How windy is it where you are today?

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 10:33
by 8doubles
xx
I am very unsettled today because ....

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2020, 22:53
by jezza
xx
Ten years ago today ...

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2018, 12:31
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 44 queries.