coronavirus and its consequences

• 99 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: coronavirus and its consequences
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 16:35 »
As I can get to my allotment site along a rarely used footpath, I'm doing that to avoid meeting someone - just using gloves while opening the gate and disinfectant them afterwards so I can't transfer the virus to my face. Once inside the fences people are keeping on their own plots, so we are distancing ourselves from others. Any conversations are now shouted rather than a quiet chat - but at least we are out in the fresh air, getting some exercise.
When they start telling us not to go out for a walk, then I'll think again.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 20:42 »
I met our lovely neighbour today at our front gate.

She told me that their gorgeous lady dog had been sent asleep. All I wanted to do was to give my chum a huge hug, (I'd known and petted the beautiful three-legged Bosnian refugee dog, Georgie for years), but hugging human chums ain't allowed now...

So, we chatted about this and that and suddenly, an hour later, a huge pile of rhubarb appeared with a beautiful note.

Blimey, I just fill up when super people like that communicate.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 22:18 »
One consequence of the virus is the halting of production of Eastenders and other soaps that have passed their sellby dates , have scrolled through some of the comments all of which hope the production break is permanent. Hopefully someone at the Beeb takes heed. I thinks not.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 23:19 »
One consequence of the virus is the halting of production of Eastenders and other soaps that have passed their sellby dates , have scrolled through some of the comments all of which hope the production break is permanent. Hopefully someone at the Beeb takes heed. I thinks not.

I'm no fan of these kind of programs but the fact is they still have strong audience figures and there are a lot of jobbing actors involved who have families and bills just like the rest of us. I'm the first to give the Beeb a bit of a kicking, but wishing misfortune on popular entertainment at this time seems a bit unfair.
That's not a personal dig Tenhens, more an observation at the trolls that lurk under the articles :)

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 07:20 »
I'm sure that the Gardening and Allotment Reporting staff on the Eastenders publicity department will be in touch with you very soon, P1P!

I have to confess that I have actually watched an episode of the prog once!

It was the first one...

Longshanks

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 07:47 »
You can't go if you're in isolation, but otherwise, carry on as usual until we're in lockdown. Take care when meeting others, but it's probably not much worse than going to the shops.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 08:17 »

Well France is in lock down now all I have to occupy my time is the garden... place will be like the hanging gardens of Babylon by the time the crisis is over ! Seriously though stay safe people.

The local plant sale will probably be stopped, we're growing for that and were planning growing seeds for a few of the kid's friends to grow on-you get loads in a packet and they only last so long. A friend assists in a local food bank and we were planning to give her a few chilli plants (spot me giving the plants away before the seeds have arrived) to share the fruit with people coming in. But now we can't meet up to hand over the plants and the food bank won't allow anything like that. The elderly are hiding from people when they are going to the shop. I thought that they were having a problem or waiting for a car to come, they were probably waiting for me to go away. I've tried to offer help to a neighbour "if you need anything or any help just let us know" and I offended her.

Just everything is closing in.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 10:21 »
You can't go if you're in isolation, but otherwise, carry on as usual until we're in lockdown. Take care when meeting others, but it's probably not much worse than going to the shops.

I went to my plot yesterday.  I saw one of our seniors and we had a chat, over a safe distance of course.  He was planing to come at less busy times, keep a few paces away from everyone else and just follow the basic rules on hand washing.  He is over 70,  but fit as a flea and he wants this part of his routine to carry on as long as he feels safe doing it  :)

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 15:14 »
When at the allotment I carry an 8ft cane with me just in case ;)

jmc1949

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 15:19 »
I am over 70, my husband has cancer and as our allotment site is small (20) I emailed everyone to say I would be coming less frequent and only early in the morning. I went to my plot this morning at 7.30 and was home by 9 and I didn't see anyone + I got a lot of work done.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 15:34 »
Our Council has confirmed there will be no plot inspections until the pandemic is over, so no non-cultivation letters for weedy plots :)

Longshanks

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 16:48 »
What about getting food? I think all our supermarkets are ransacked by 8am.

rowlandwells

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 17:18 »
Tenhens you definitely have a way with words  :D anyway we are of down the allotments next week to have a go got a bit behind with sowing seeds but been busy at home  re-roofing and re-fitting the potting shed also have a poly tunnel cover to replace asap

but the weather here has been cold and wet more like a November day than March like you replies that i think make good sense

OakR

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2020, 20:11 »
I was listening to Boris and co's update tonight, and it felt to me like a lockdown was on the way in the next few days.

On that basis I think tomorrow I'm going to plant out my remaining potatoes, sow some more peas and any onion sets I have left, bring back  some bits from the greenhouse and sow some green manure to cover the rest of the ground.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01 »
I hope my site doesn't get closed down, the situation I'm in I'm having to use my allotment shed as an office at the moment!

I think any lockdown will most likely be policed by way of a chat and 'words of advice' to start with, anyone 'caught' on the way to their allotment will most likely be allowed on their way.

xx
Coronavirus.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 20:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
Coronavirus

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 16:43
by Aidy
xx
Coronavirus questions please

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

27 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 19:02
by John
xx
Coronavirus now a pandemic

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2020, 16:34
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 44 queries.