Stock Piling

• 238 Replies

Growster...

Re: Stock Piling
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 14:33 »
I had a bit of fun this morning!

I was doing a normal shop, and arrived at the till which was manned by someone I know well enough to have a bit of banter with. She was nattering away as usual, as I was, until I mentioned that we were 'panic-buying' baked beans, because they're actually a staple here!

She chuckled and mentioned that the only stocks most people were chasing hard after were loo rolls and condoms!

By a quirk of fate, I realised that our pack of loo rolls hadn't got on the supermarket belt, and had been left on the shelf behind, so I dashed off to retrieve them!

When I got back she laughed and mentioned - with a twinkle in her eye, that she was convinced that I'd forgotten the 'other' items!

Lots of laughs all round..;0)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 14:49 »
I asked Val to pick up some more super-hot Indian pickles - she pointed out there were 3 jars in the outside store.. Seems panic arrived a while ago! Sad lack of Asian supermarkets in our area so when we venture abroad (to England) I go mad and stock up. Otherwise, it's Asda in Bangor and they're very hit and miss on Asian foods.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 15:57 »
im sorry if this sounds sexist but it was a genuine observation from both me and Mr Goose today when we went to the supermarket.

there were loads of men on their own racing around with a trolley throwing in toilet/kitchen rolls, tissues, paracetamol, bleach, looking despondent at the anti bac gel/handwash shelves that were empty :nowink:

it was almost as if their other halves had told them to get down there quick and panic buy and reluctantly they had agreed but decided if they were going to do this, they would do at a speed like in supermarket sweep!  seriously it was hilarious to see :lol:

Mr Goose does most of our shopping and even he noticed what appeared to be going on.  as for pasta....it looks like penne is the nations least favourite, even in a crisis, as that's all that was left on the shelves ::)

Mr Dog

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 17:27 »
It seems likely it jumped from another species like bats in a meat market in Wuhan, China. A city bigger than London. The Chinese government started by denial, which let it take hold there. Millions of Chinese move around the world and westerners visit China. As most young, healthy people merely suffer a bit of a cold and I think you're infectious before symptoms show, it's surprising it hasn't spread much more than it has.
In fact governments seem to have done a reasonable job once the Chinese admitted there was a new, serious disease on the loose. I read the government's plan and can't see what more they can reasonably do
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-action-plan
I don't think we'll see much of a problem in the shops, possibly some lines out of stock for a few days at points. However, some of us may decide we're safest staying isolated until things improve or a vaccine is available, Stocking up for that makes sense.

I'm certain it has. The numbers being quoted are only those who show up positive on testing. The vast majority of folk haven't been (and won't ever be) tested, so even if they have/get corona they'll likely never know for sure.
On a slightly morbid note, if you're going to get it, particularly if you are unfortunate to be one of those with severe symptoms, it'd be best to get it early before the acute care system gets overwhelmed!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 18:07 »
On a slightly morbid note, if you're going to get it, particularly if you are unfortunate to be one of those with severe symptoms, it'd be best to get it early before the acute care system gets overwhelmed!
That's a good point - but better not to get it at all, obviously. Yer pays yer money an' takes yer choice..

Gwynedd council have a plan though.. They'll bring forward the summer roadworks designed to deter tourists from visiting and hope to isolate the county :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 18:13 »
i must say I tend to agree with what Johns saying lets hope common sense prevails but I'm not holding my breath  because its happened before when fuel was in short supply the pumps ran dry

and I suppose this is where  freezing our surplus veg kicks in and we still have our milkman so apart from doing a small shop we can live with that also  got a few toilet rolls and some  essential liquid refreshments to keep us going must get your priorities rite  :D :D

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 20:51 »
   I work in a well known supermarket on the tills. Apart from nurses (who would be wearing facemasks, gloves and protection) we are in the frontline. We cannot work from home. I serve hundreds of people from all over the world. They stand and cough, sometimes without their hand, sometimes with but then hand you money over. They also liberally lick their fingers to seperate the notes before giving them to you. Some women even think its ok to keep money in their bras and give it you. Yuk. The worst i had was a dirty nicotine stained hand with a load of coins being offered to me. On carefully picking out the coins i noticed a pubic hair on a top. Come on ppl. Please don't lick your fingers. Take it a bit more seriously. We too don't have hand gel and God knows we really do need it.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2020, 23:47 »
That's gruesome! Turning it round, what if a till operator has the virus? Could infect a lot of people in a shift..

Online deliveries isn't going to be a lot of use, either. Normally around 7% of the grocery market, even if doubled, which would be miraculous, that's only 14%.

And what about those who can't afford to stock up or need to go to foodbanks?  This situation may not reflect well on our society.

GraciesGran

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 07:24 »
In case anyone misses it the BBC has advice for the asthmatics among us - use your preventive inhaler(usually brown) and carry your reliever inhaler (usually blue) with you at all times!!!!   I never would have thought of that.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2020, 09:42 »
   I work in a well known supermarket on the tills. Apart from nurses (who would be wearing facemasks, gloves and protection) we are in the frontline. We cannot work from home. I serve hundreds of people from all over the world. They stand and cough, sometimes without their hand, sometimes with but then hand you money over. They also liberally lick their fingers to seperate the notes before giving them to you. Some women even think its ok to keep money in their bras and give it you. Yuk. The worst i had was a dirty nicotine stained hand with a load of coins being offered to me. On carefully picking out the coins i noticed a pubic hair on a top. Come on ppl. Please don't lick your fingers. Take it a bit more seriously. We too don't have hand gel and God knows we really do need it.

A lot of the till staff in our local big supermarket have mini hand gels beside the till. But even a packet of wet wipes would help. You could wipe your hands and give the coins a bit of a clean because sometimes they need it.

I used to work retail, we had a customer who was incontinent, never washed or changed his clothes and had no undergarment protection on. We were expected to handle his all copper coins which were kept in his trousers pocket and well marinaded. Lucky it was a small shop I could nip around the corner and wash them as they couldn't go in the till. The number of times I got nearly set on fire because other people understandably didn't want them and hadn't seen the soapy hand drying paper hidden behind the counter to hold what he'd handed me. As well as the second one to wipe my hands down. They were right to be out with the pitchforks as it was disgusting. Most loved to hear that I planned on washing them once the shop was clear.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 10:06 »
It is not called filthy lucre for nothing! 

Seriously though, all money is dirty and that is one thing I would be careful about.  Having had to help cash up in a big garden centre after busy days, you would not believe the colour your hands end up after handling lots of notes and coins.  Greasy black yuck that needs to be scrubbed off.  Pay by contact less card if you can, especially if it is for food and you are eating or drinking it there and then. 

I also work in a shop, so I have to deal with people/cash/stock, but I always have assumed the worse i.e. washed my hands well before eating, drinking, going to the loo (and afterwards of course) and as soon as I get in.  That has been my routine for years.

snowdrops

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 20:58 »
One of the worst things is not drying your hands well, so using a wet wet wipe as someone mentioned will help germs multiply quicker, think warm,humid conditions! Yes wash your hands thoroughly (at all times) & just as importantly dry them really well (also at all times)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2020, 08:12 »
One of the worst things is not drying your hands well, so using a wet wet wipe as someone mentioned will help germs multiply quicker, think warm,humid conditions! Yes wash your hands thoroughly (at all times) & just as importantly dry them really well (also at all times)

Wet wipes aren't that wet, unless your flooding the packet. She could always bring a hand towel and lay it on a hook under the till-our shop has them, or on her lap in a bag to keep sneezes off while she works. Not perfect, but she's responsible for her health and she can't leave the till after every person to go wash her hands. I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather wipe my hands on a regular basis instead of waiting for hours until a break. Bonus, she can wipe sneezes up and keep around her cleaner.

Anyone know what shops are doing? We've not noticed any signs in the local supermarket or the self service staff cleaning those tills at all. I was hoping that staff would be given spray to wipe around them on the staffed and unstaffed tills. The many many local hairdressers or child minders have no signs but the opticians does.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2020, 15:19 »
I asked about a general sanitizer in the foyer as ppl come in. Was told atm not company policy. Besides which ppl are stealing it or filling up their own bottles from it. Also when we can we are having to provide our own hand gel. I have detail general purpose surface wipes to clean my hands every few transactions. I'm also going to start asking ppl not to lick their fingers when handing me notes.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 15:51 »
Reading about hand sanitizers, has made me remember.    A hospital in W Sussex, which I have had to attend a few times, has no santizer when you approach down the corridors.    As I was having surgery, I thought I would ask why.    The answer was, because the local alcoholics come in and drink it  !!  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Stock-piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 14:37
by Growster...
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 51 queries.