Stock Piling

• 238 Replies

mrs bouquet

Stock Piling
« on: March 05, 2020, 12:30 »
Come on, own up  -  are you getting a few extras in - Just in case.      I went to a supermarket yesterday and some of the shelves were depleted.
I have stock piled all my life, especially when things are on offer.    Actually, I would not have room for much more, my friends and family roll about laughing when they see my store cupboards.
I confess today to getting more soup and pasta, and a box of frozen jacket potatoes.      What are you getting in    :ohmy:   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GraciesGran

Re: Stock Piling
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 13:14 »
Large sack of dog food and2 boxes of dog biscuits.  My cupboards are already full of things bought when they were on offer.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 13:18 »
I am continuing to buy just what I need. I cant be bothered with bulging cupboards, mainly because it would go to waste because I wouldn’t remember what was there.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 13:54 »
I've just bought an extra tub of dried milk, so I won't have to go shopping just for fresh milk, if the situation gets worse.  I've always got tinned and frozen stuff that would probably feed me for a few months, if it had to - maybe not what I'd prefer to eat, but I sure wouldn't starve  :D

It would be the fresh veg and salad I'd miss once all the frozen veg was gone..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 15:25 »
I must admit it hadn't occurred to me to stock pile anything, but there isn't really space anyway as I always do have a fair few staples in the cupboards.  The freezer got filled up a couple of weeks ago, so no room there.   We seem to have plenty of stock around at job no.2, so they can store it for me until I decide I want to buy it.

I would have to go out to work unless something drastic happened and they locked down the town.  Until then I am just making sure I wash my hands well and carrying on as normal.  The media are getting silly over this story and crossing the line into irresponsible reporting.  All the worry they are causing some folk is just as serious a threat to health imho ::) 

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 15:52 »
The media are getting silly over this story and crossing the line into irresponsible reporting.  All the worry they are causing some folk is just as serious a threat to health imho ::)

I'm glad someone else voiced this opinion first. This, plus the various global organisations and governments tripping over themselves to show they are 'doing something' is ridiculous.

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 17:31 »
TBH our chest freezer could do with a good clear out and defrost!

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 18:41 »
My favourite in all of this is the work from home comment - eldest son is a welder, can you imagine the havoc that would cause in the lounge?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 20:11 »
To be honest, I'm a bit worried. Val has bought an extra dried milk, handwash and soap along with some bargain price loo rolls. We've enough in the freezers and stores to run for 6 months, I reckon - although our diet would get a bit weird. Real concern is catfood... they might eat us if we run out of Felix  :wacko:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 00:24 »
freezer and cupboards full enough already, although I have to admit to doing a double shop of wine, coffee, UHT milk and toilet rolls. :lol: (do the 200 face masks and anti bac/viral gel wipes that I acquired a few months ago abroad when I saw this situation coming count??? :nowink:)

Mr Goose keeps giving me strange looks when we go shopping, but he will reap these rewards when some of our luxuries may not be readily available. ::) im sure normal stuff will be fine as i have whitnessed this when visiting some early affected countries, its just our 'nice to haves' that i am worried about atm.

unfortunately, my job means that I may end up (and therefore him too) self isolating for a while, so I am just being prepared for this more than shortages....im not over doing it and only buying stuff that I will use anyway going forward if/when this crisis is over.

my parents said i was mad but they now admit that they own 72 toilet rolls :ohmy: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 05:27 »
I bought extra spam, corned beef, rice and pasta, none of which go together really...

Bread mixes may get an airing though, and tinned dog food is another necessity, although JRT has been enjoying some left-over Coronation chicken this week!

Ryvita is always a good substitute for bread, and the multi-grain has individually wrapped bics, which last quite a long time.

I do need some more beer though, even though we have about 24 gallons of home-made hooch of various hues, all racked off and maturing nicely in their environmentally-secure, de-sanitised, plastic-containers...

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 09:34 »
although we are all concerned how we can beat this virus  panic buying in my opinion is not they way forward yes we can do our upmost to stem the spreading of this virus  by keeping to hygiene standards

and your absolutely rite new shoot the media are hyping this up that has caused I believe some folks to panic buy and as I see it little info has been made available as to how this virus started [if not why not ] because I for one would like to know was through lack of hygiene or eating certain foods the cause why was it aloud to spread so quickly when the countries concerned where warned of the impending virus

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21 »
although we are all concerned how we can beat this virus  panic buying in my opinion is not they way forward yes we can do our upmost to stem the spreading of this virus  by keeping to hygiene standards.
Your absolutely rite new shoot the media are hyping this up that has caused I believe some folks to panic buy and as I see it little info has been made available as to how this virus started [if not why not ]
Info not available because the scientists haven't proved which species it started from.

I for one would like to know was through lack of hygiene or eating certain foods the cause
something we'll possibly never know, because viruses mutate so quickly

why was it aloud to spread so quickly when the countries concerned where warned of the impending virus.
How could they stop it? China put whole regions in shut down, to stop people spreading it. That's the best they could do. However with international travel the virus had spread to other countries before doctors/scientists were even aware they were dealing with anything different.
People are 'panic-buying' now, in case the same regional shutdowns happen here, unlikely - but we just don't know what will happen. I would say that having a certain level of food and hygiene products available for a few weeks confined indoors was a reasonable reaction to the threat.
If you are told to self-isolate how would you manage if you couldn't go shopping for a few weeks?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 10:31 »
.. I for one would like to know was through lack of hygiene or eating certain foods the cause why was it aloud to spread so quickly when the countries concerned where warned of the impending virus..
It seems likely it jumped from another species like bats in a meat market in Wuhan, China. A city bigger than London. The Chinese government started by denial, which let it take hold there. Millions of Chinese move around the world and westerners visit China. As most young, healthy people merely suffer a bit of a cold and I think you're infectious before symptoms show, it's surprising it hasn't spread much more than it has.
In fact governments seem to have done a reasonable job once the Chinese admitted there was a new, serious disease on the loose. I read the government's plan and can't see what more they can reasonably do
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-action-plan
I don't think we'll see much of a problem in the shops, possibly some lines out of stock for a few days at points. However, some of us may decide we're safest staying isolated until things improve or a vaccine is available, Stocking up for that makes sense.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 13:37 »
I'm a hoarder so we have loads of food in so really we just need milk, bread and frozen veg which we buy as needed. We believe we may have a milk backup as there's a farmer up north who sells his own milk, you buy a glass bottle and fill it from a vending type machine. There's also a mythical milk man who delivers!

There was a post about one of the outlying big shops saying that people were panic buying soap and they might get violent over the last bottles.

Modify, forgot to say I ordered 120 toilet rolls a bit earlier than needed.
We'd have been fine for a month, maybe two. Before anyone asks, that's how big the pack is and it's about half a year's supply. It's £32 for the lot, they come double wrapped and will arrive in the next day or so. We get them through a big river named website so if anyone wants a link just post here or message me but or post here first. I never spot messages for aggges and the notifications get lost in the spam box.

Modify again, we have almost 3 months of toilet rolls left so 120 rolls is 8/9 months for £32.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 16:10 by WeavingGryphon »

xx
Stock-piling

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 14:37
by Growster...
xx
Trading Hut Stock

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2022, 16:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 51 queries.