Too many raspberries

• 30 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Too many raspberries
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 15:43 »
I make my raspberry vodka in slightly smaller quantities to New Shoot  :ohmy:

:lol:  I would have a riot on my hands if I made any less.  I have friends, family and OH's camping buddies to pacify.  The camping buddies usually turn up at this time of year bearing bottles of vodka for me to transform to ensure their supplies for sipping round the campfire over the winter are in production :lol:

This version is more raspberry liqueur than raspberry flavoured vodka  ;)

Casey76

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 16:05 »
No one can have too many raspberries, especially when you'd pay the equivalent of 2 euros a pint here.

I bag mine and freeze them for making crumbles mixed with apples. Some apples stretches out the berries and minimizes the amount of seeds.

2€ a pint!  I've just paid 5.75 CHF (4.76€ / £3.77) for 250g!!! in the supermarket.

I need to check the pick-your-own, when I can normally get them for about 2.50€ a kg.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 20:18 »
I make my raspberry vodka in slightly smaller quantities to New Shoot  :ohmy:

:lol:  I would have a riot on my hands if I made any less.  I have friends, family and OH's camping buddies to pacify.  The camping buddies usually turn up at this time of year bearing bottles of vodka for me to transform to ensure their supplies for sipping round the campfire over the winter are in production :lol:

This version is more raspberry liqueur than raspberry flavoured vodka  ;)

I supply a somewhat smaller market  :lol: :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 22:16 »
How do you make raspberry liqueur? 

You can just steep fruit and sugar in vodka, but I've just started mine and this is what I do.

Layer raspberries and sugar in a demijohn - about 50/50
Add an air lock and ferment for 6 weeks - the fruit will dissolve and make a liquid with the sugar
Strain and mix with vodka to taste - you need a minimum of 30% vodka to preserve the drink, but you can make it stronger as a 30% mix is very sweet

I get people begging for this when I ask them what they would like for for mid-winter festival gift  ;)  :)

Are you adding any yeast to this?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 07:39 »
No yeast added.  It relies on the natural yeasts on the surface of the fruit but always seems to work  :)

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 19:21 »
No yeast added.  It relies on the natural yeasts on the surface of the fruit but always seems to work  :)

Thanks!

There's a couple of recipes for raspberry gin/liqueur and raspberry shrub on the Guardian website today - link

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 21:37 »
Interesting  :)  Seems my method of making a fermented raspberry syrup is sort of similar to their advice to add sugar syrup to an infused spirit to turn it into liqueur.  

Mine is a really rich pure flavoured raspberry drink which is strong enough to stand a bit of dilution, so perfect for adding to mixer drinks or sparkling wine.  Also a good sipping drink for winter evenings when summer seems a long time ago.  Takes you back to happy times picking rasps in the sun on the plot  :)

Its worth saying my recipe was adapted from a blackberry one so you could make blackberry liqueur the same way.  

Dopey113

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 20:30 »
Well I did the jam.... first time I burnt it.... ate it anyway  ;) got it right the second time... now have lots of jars of the stuff, very easy to make too, thickens up a treat, thanks for the jam recipe
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:28 »
And if you have too much rhubarb too, you could make rhubarb and raspberry jam :D

Too many raspberries indeed! Now you are just showing off :D :lol: :D

Have only just planted some canes in the garden 'cos the fruit patch is solid, 'orrible clay and not ready for planting yet. I would kill for too many raspberries. Only had enough to fill a couple of bowls :(

Dopey113

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 19:16 »
You see the price of them in the shops!!  :ohmy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 19:42 »
Oh yes. Silly prices. They are cheaper at Spitalfields market but still not cheap.

Can't wait till we have the fruit patch sorted. I prefer raspberries to strawberries. Makes a lovely chocolate and raspberry cream roulade, or white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake.

To many raspberries indeed, you can never  ever have too many ;) :D :D

I am off to eat the handful from my few autumn canes with some homemade vanilla ice. :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30 »
If you have autumn fruiting rasps Mrs B you will soon be harvesting bowlfulls.  Mine were the best £10 I ever spent and after a couple of years formed a hedge dripping with fruit every autumn  :D

A plot visit is in order today so a happy half hour ahead milling down the rows picking  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 09:32 »
If you have autumn fruiting rasps Mrs B you will soon be harvesting bowlfulls.  Mine were the best £10 I ever spent and after a couple of years formed a hedge dripping with fruit every autumn  :D

A plot visit is in order today so a happy half hour ahead milling down the rows picking  :)

Oh I look forward to that. Raspberries, bliss.  Planted a few summer fruiting too but I know I won't get any of those this year.

Snoop

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 14:02 »
How do you make raspberry liqueur? 

You can just steep fruit and sugar in vodka, but I've just started mine and this is what I do.

Layer raspberries and sugar in a demijohn - about 50/50
Add an air lock and ferment for 6 weeks - the fruit will dissolve and make a liquid with the sugar
Strain and mix with vodka to taste - you need a minimum of 30% vodka to preserve the drink, but you can make it stronger as a 30% mix is very sweet

I get people begging for this when I ask them what they would like for for mid-winter festival gift  ;)  :)

Hi, am reviving this thread as we have a blackberry bonanza year and I'm keen to try this recipe.

Newshoot, if you see this, is that 50/50 by volume or by weight?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 14:30 »
Hi, am reviving this thread as we have a blackberry bonanza year and I'm keen to try this recipe.

Newshoot, if you see this, is that 50/50 by volume or by weight?

Volume Snoop.   I just do layers about 2 fruits deep, ending with a sugar layer  :)

xx
Raspberries

Started by snow white on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 08:15
by lettice
xx
Raspberries - 0ther than jam

Started by green fingers on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post October 11, 2008, 22:29
by rainie
xx
freezing raspberries

Started by Grubbypaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 09:16
by mumofstig
xx
Bramley compote with raspberries.

Started by tode on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 18:34
by tode

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 33 queries.