shallots

• 10 Replies

mrpotatohead

shallots
« on: July 30, 2012, 19:22 »
is it too soon to lift shallots in central scotland? the stalks are still green. but some of the shallots have actually separated from the bunch.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: shallots
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 20:34 »
No it isn't per se, but if the stalks are still green, I'd leave them 'til the tops start going yellow/brown and flop. I've already pulled mine as I pulled the garlic last week and just did them at the same time.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mrpotatohead

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 21:39 »
thanks. pulled the earlier planted row with the tips yellowed. laid them out in greenhouse to dry-fantastic smell...left later planted row of shallots-maybe lift in a couple of weeks.
one onion was mush when i pulled it up as i saw slime on top. pulled up onions around this spot. put those in greenhouse to dry. garlic is drying inside house. good crop considering first year growing shallots and garlic. have had garden in various locations over the years but have only grown cukes, tatties, carrots, onions, rhubarb, sweet potato, beetroot and radishes.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 22:26 »
I've lifted most of mine too over the last 3 days - planted first week in March.  Some have still got some green leaf so I've left them,  but i think I'd be as well lifting them as the weather isn't that great and those that were lifted had a few slugs and maggots crawling around.  Quite a few produced seed heads this year.  Onion from sets now going over but onions from seed still standing straight, just showing early signs of tips turning

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 22:49 »
I lifted most of mine a few weeks ago, mainly to make room for kale. The few I left in haven't grown much since and the tops have toppled so I say go for it. Just make sure you dry them well - I've already found one that was turning bad.

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 22:56 »
I lifted mine a couple of weeks ago got a few a decent size but mostly small .
Due to the lack of sunshine and the wet condition a poor year for my shallots.
My onions are a fair bit better they will be out by the weekend weather permitting  they have all gone over now and yellowing.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 23:09 »
If you wriggle the shallots and they are loose they are ready for lifting.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 06:07 »
Hoiked all ours out a couple of weeks ago. They'd had a pretty rough time, and most growers near us said the same!

Completely new stock planned for next year, it doesn't seem worth saving the tiddlers to replant - especially if they've been around for some time...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 06:13 »
onions from seed still standing straight, just showing early signs of tips turning

I only did onions from seed this year and mine are still going strong as well, whereas the shallots came out a few weeks ago.  They were starting to run to seed, so hooked them out and salvaged what I could  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 15:05 »
I grew two varieties of shallots - Mikor and Vigamor. The Mikor have done great whereas the Vigamor were very poor and under-productive. They were both planted in the same bed and had the same conditions. They are currently drying out in my g'house and will lift my onions shortly.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 22:27 »
onions from seed still standing straight, just showing early signs of tips turning

I only did onions from seed this year
First attempt this year too - will definitely do this again.  Tried Bedfordshire (in pots in clusters which we've lifted as greens over the weeks with a few now growing on) and Ailsa Craig (in ground).  Got a few thicker necks on some AC.  Overall, pleased so far for a first effort.  Makes me wonder if shallots from seeds are worth a go

xx
Shallots

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 00:39
by Mintyboy
xx
shallots

Started by marie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2006, 23:05
by Heather_S
xx
shallots

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 16:44
by AnneB
xx
shallots

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 11:38
by JayG

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 30 queries.