Broody hen - going to let her hatch - few ?s

• 3 Replies

silverteen

Broody hen - going to let her hatch - few ?s
« on: June 13, 2012, 12:27 »
Hi ive hatched silkie chicks using an incubator, but now one of my hens has gone broody agian ive got her some fertile eggs to sit on and hoepfully hatch. seems thats what she wants to do and shes hard to break out of her broody cycles so she may awsell acheive something by sitting in the coop most of the day.

any way... a few questions?

do i just place the eggs in her nesting box whens she out getting food?

after 21 days when the eggs hatch (fingers cross) do you take the newborn chicks away from her?

the coop has a small ramp to get in and out so the young chicks wouldnt be able to get up. what age will they be able to get up?

If i took the newly hatched eggs away from her would she accept them back after a few days when their steadier on their feet?

are the few day old chicks allowed outside on the grass if its dry if not/what age?

thanks for the advice

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody hen - going to let her hatch - few ?s
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:40 »
she will need her own broody coop and then you can simply place her in it late one afternoon with the eggs. Shut her in for the night and then you can open it up in the morning. If the coop has it's own run then she will be fine just being left to go back into the coop after she has eaten. If she doesn't get off then simply lift her off the eggs once or twice a day to eat etc. Be careful when lifting her off the eggs as they often have an egg tucked up under her wing.
Once they hatch (and this could be anywhere from 19 - 28 days) leave her with the chicks and she will teach them how to drink and feed, she will also show them the best way to scratch etc.
Just a word of warning but do not keep interfering with her whilst she is on the eggs and the chicks are hatching no matter how curious you are, she will let you see them when she is ready.
Using a broody is the best way to hatch
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:46 »
I can answer some of the questions.

1st when you get the fertile eggs and have rested them for a day, mark on them in pencil.
My broody didnt leave the box often so i swapped the unfertile eggs she was sitting on with the fertile ones (hence marking the fertile ones so you know which is which)
I sort of lifted her off, swapped and put her back down.

I didnt take the newly hatched chicks away, didnt see the point in making work for myself when she was doing all the hard work by raising them.

They are not as fragile and helpless as you may think, mine coop has a hefty ramp but they made it, just be close by the 1st few times and you will hear them shrieking if theres a problem.

my chicks and broody mum went outside the day after they hatched in ALL weathers, they duck underneath her for protection and warmth

dont know about taking chicks away and putting them back a few days later.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 13:58 »
if you take them away for a few days she could attack them when you put them back as she won't realise they are hers. Hens have been raising their own chicks ever since they have been around so best not to interfere with how they do it.

xx
broody hen hatch update

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 10:40
by JaK
xx
How many eggs could a broody hen hatch ?

Started by slurp on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 21:14
by slurp
xx
put eggs undr broody, due to hatch.. do i put them in or leave them out?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 11:00
by joyfull
xx
About to hatch from broody hen - misc. advice needed

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 22:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 33 queries.