Dandelions

• 5 Replies

thatruddyvicar

Dandelions
« on: April 21, 2012, 19:43 »
i have got a really heavy infestation of dandelions in the lawn!!

What is the best way to deal with them. Will a flame gun kill them or will they just resprout?

Does keeping the lawn really short help? If it ever stops raining I might cut it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Dandelions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 19:45 »
I sympathise  :(

Remove as many flower heads you see before they flower.  I wouldn't cut the lawn too short - if you scalp it, then you weaken it and provide greater access to the soil for weed seeds.

You can get lawn weedkillers which kill broad leaved weeds such as dandelions, but I've not yet tried them.  If you do use this, don't compost your lawn clippings for at least 3 (?) mowings - check the packet for details.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 19:50 »
We have this problem too, with a field adjacent to the garden. Keeping it cut short will help to stop the flowers opening, but you need to get in and dig the plants out. You can use a forked weed lifter like the tool at the bottom of this picture.

If you do this during the growing season the grass will soon grow into the gap.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 19:59 »
They do make a difference Yorkie but it needs a few applications if its bad, we use the weed and feed ones that really help the look of the grass as well.

Good luck thatruddyvicar, we have them as well, def dont leave them flower we did a few times last year and that was a big mistake!!  

We tried torching some growing on the drive, they came back and it was time consuming, so we give up after 2/3 attempts. It wasnt as much fun as I thought it might.

Living in Hope

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 21:32 »
I hand weed mine out - a fork to lift the patch allows the soil to be loosened to get the root out whole (usually). I usually have a fit of enthusiasm that last a copule of hours each spring and have slowly got on top of them to the extent it only took me about 1/2 hr today to get out all the ones I ould see - and that the job done - however I have a small garden and not much of it is grass.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 23:29 »
i have got a really heavy infestation of dandelions in the lawn!!

What is the best way to deal with them. Will a flame gun kill them or will they just resprout?

Does keeping the lawn really short help? If it ever stops raining I might cut it.

A tempura batter works nicely.. ..

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 35 queries.