Safe Bonfire accelerant?

• 17 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Safe Bonfire accelerant?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 14:32 »
link for 100% natural fire lighters

:lol:

Oh I love these types of products and we're so gullible for them too.   It's wood and vegetable oil made into fireligters with lots of eco-green words marketing, like "biomass" ,"sustainable" &  "biodegradable".  Problem is it costs £2 for 28 lighters.  It has to be manufactured and transported to you so obviously there's lots of energy used up in the forestry production, manufacturing and transportation process which usually gets glossed over.  You've had to earn the money to buy it which wasn't zero energy or carbon neutral. 

There's a well known law in science which basically says you can never have a free lunch there's no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.  Once you burn that energy it's lost forever.  It's all about efficiency really the more value we can extract from waste materials so we don't need to manufacture things needlessly the better in my view.  To use manufactured materials to burn your waste is the ultimate in green nonsense.

As you may have noticed I'm very skeptical about the green industry generally there's a lot of hair-brained schemes with a good marketing story out there and politicians love to be associated with anything which can superficially demonstrate their green credentials.  I don't think you will be saving the planet by using these.

HF
Truth through science.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 14:38 »
No such thing as a perpetual motion machine? :ohmy:  My lifes work has been for nothing, I'm off to have a lie down now. ;)  Have to agree with you Hillfooter about some of the nonsense spouted about "green" products. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 17:02 »
So many good ideas, I reckon this one is great!  :lol:

I use my weed wand on a small amount of paper & card followed by twigs & bit of wood, & as said before feed slowly with bigger bits until it is well a blaze

:D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
bonfire?

Started by Carollan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 22:20
by sion01
xx
begonias called bonfire

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 21:40
by chrissie B
xx
is it safe to .......

Started by starry on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 17:31
by starry
xx
When am I safe to put my sweet peas out

Started by missmoneypenny on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2019, 10:57
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 32 queries.