Complete Novice!

• 15 Replies

Briony1979

Complete Novice!
« on: February 16, 2011, 21:21 »
Hi All!

We have recently aquired our first allotment (actually we're still waiting for the keys, but I'm very keen!).

Soooo, my question to all you seasoned growers out there is, what is the best bit of advice you could give me as a complete novice?

Any bit of knowledge big or small most welcome! I've only ever grown veg in containers before and it all seems a bit overwhelming.......

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Complete Novice!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 21:29 »
Well you have made a great start by joining this forum - loads of advice, moral support and laughs to help you on your way  :)

Best bits of advice - don't try to clear a whole plot in 1 go, grow what you like to eat, don't be afraid to try new things even if they don't all work quite the way you expected first time and most of all, have a great time growing  :D

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 21:32 »
Hello,

The best bit of advice i can give you is, not to try and do everything at once. Dig one bed at a time where you want one. If you plan your whole plot you will feel overwhelmed and feel like your getting no where. so just take it easy, don't rush it all  :)

good luck!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 23:06 »
Welcome to the site  :D

The second best bit of advice is to edit your forum profile (click on your username) to show your general location, so all our advice can be tailored to the right part of the country  ;) :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sarajane

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 23:33 »
Likewise, dont't try and rush it or all the enjoyment will dissappear and it will turn into a chore rather than an truly enjoyable experience.  If you can get hold of some weed suppressant fabric, old carpets or black plastic, cover over what you dont think you will manage for the moment and when you come to dig, most of the weeds, especially the annual ones will have died and make the job so much easier.  Oh and just remember the tale of the hare and the tortoise :happy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 19:17 »
Likewise, dont't try and rush it or all the enjoyment will dissappear and it will turn into a chore rather than an truly enjoyable experience.  If you can get hold of some weed suppressant fabric, old carpets or black plastic, cover over what you dont think you will manage for the moment and when you come to dig, most of the weeds, especially the annual ones will have died and make the job so much easier.  Oh and just remember the tale of the hare and the tortoise :happy:

Many sites ban carpet - it either breaks down or the weeds grow through it, it can release toxins, and is an absolute nightmare to dispose of.  Fabric, plastic (for short times only as it sours the soil if left on too long) or cardboard would be far more suitable.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 23:51 »
1) Grow what you eat!!!  Dont grow varieties because you think you should or because everyone else is.  Im considered a little strange on our lottie (well i am strange :tongue2: ) because my plot is full of chard, kale and squash but thats what i like so thats what i grow. 
2) Dont get too carried away, its far too easy to end up with 25 tomatoe plants when you only need 5.
3) Watch the weather.  Its all well and good for the seed packets to say sow in Feb but if the ground is frozen solid you will just end up with dead plants - and i speak from experience... doh.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:06 »
My first advice is talk to your neighbours at the allotment.  They may have some friendly advice like what does well, and let you know more about what goes on at your site such as whether there is a seed/plant swap or shop, any free deliveries (not all sites have this but worth knowing about), where you can obtain a supply of manure, where the water supply is.  Also, it's a nice way to introduce yourself and get to know your neighbours and people generally like to have a chat, especially about the weather and how it is affecting everything, and sometimes a welcome break from working on the plot.

Secondly, all jobs take a lot longer than you planned until you learn to get into a routine.  Go with a job list but don't despair if you don't get it all done.  Better to spread the work load in little bits over several days a week than try to do it all at once one day a week.

Thirdly, weeds are unforgiving.  They germinate and grow at an alarming rate from early spring until midsummer and I've seen many a newbie give up in the first 6 months, but it does get easier if you can keep on top of them.  If there are sections of the plot that you won't get cleared in time, it's worth keeping them under some cover, whether you use black plastic, carpet, fabric membrane, cardboard - whatever you are allowed to use on your site and you are comfortable with using until such time you can get round to clearing that area.

Finally, take time to stand back and see what you have achieved and give yourself a pat on the back, rather than dwell on the things that haven't worked.  It's a learning experience and not a failure  :)

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22 »
Cover any patch you won't be using for the first year and by the time you do actually want to use it the weeds underneath will be dead.

Hoe hoe and hoe...at least once a week.  As someone else said, if you keep on top of it then it is far far easier.  If you leave longer then you will be digging weeds out again and this is when it gets on top of you and this is when people give up.  Weeds take nutrients out of the soil, therefore your veg have to share the nutrients (though every allotment has weeds so don't become too obsessive about it either.

Don't plant in cold soil, watch for when the weeds start to grow then you will know the soil is beginning to warm up.

Don't take what the seed packets say as definate ie parsnips never germinate in cold soil in feb as the seed packets states.  Read advice on here and ask if not sure.

Enjoy it...there is no where better than the allotment on a sunny day when the birds are singing.  When i go to my allotment my mind is 'there' and no where else, it's as though worries are outside of the allotment gates but not inside....it does your mind good and the exercise is far cheaper and more enjoyable than a gym.

Happy gardening

shedsue

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 12:09 »
How exciting getting a lottie...I would A: have a walk around your site and look at what everyone elses are like, that will give you ideas on how you want yours  B:...Like mazzie says grow what you eat  and C:  do a small section at a time...never make it a chore, just enjoy it. :D

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 12:34 »
Hi and welcome. My advice is not to do as I did last year. I planted about 40 different types of lettuce in one go they bolted and went to seed in the hot weather so most of them where wasted.  I have learn`t  by my mistake, and will be planting a few at a time this year. I made the same mistake with cauliflowers as well. So if you do make mistakes don`t get put off learn by them.
Just enjoy every minute, I do and feel very lucky to have my plot. :)

Gareth J

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 17:20 »
dont do as i did, rotorvating the plot is fantastic for spreading marestail everywhere  >:(
dig a bit at a time and clear all bindweed, marestail, couch grass etc
if anyone on your site keeps chickens then instead of covering the ground till you get round to clearing it let their chickens do it for you. they will fertilize the ground as they go as well  :D
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 22:13 »
I would echo the comments about taking it easy and not to do too much all at once as this can become demoralising and is likely to spoil the joy an allotment brings. Any fruit and/or veg you grow has an amazing taste compared to shop bought produce,so grow foods you enjoy,leave the experiments until you have established yourself and your plot. Enjoy and good luck  :)
people talk rubbish

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 07:27 »
 :ohmy: Forgot the one most important thing.

Take piccies  :D

It's great to look back on your progress from day one, particularly if you have moments where you feel you're getting nowhere (which always happens at some point).  Plus, we're a nosy bunch on 'ere  ;) :lol:

Briony1979

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 20:36 »
Aw thanks everyone!  :D

We're in South Devon by the way so pretty lucky with the weather, having said that the weather can be unpredictable everywhere now!

I do have a tendancy to be a bit gungho and jump in head first so I shall definitely take ALL your advice and take it easy.. I am actually just as excited about plodding around in a pair of wellies and a flask (and maybe the odd G and T)! It seems I may be weeding for a while... A friend of mine has horses, would horse manure be a good compost do you think?

Anyway, I shall try and get some photos on soon and keep updating! Once again, thanks guys!

xx
Need help complete novice

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 15:39
by Minty
xx
Help for a complete novice

Started by Mitchy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 21:17
by digalotty
xx
complete novice wants to grow potatos!

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 14:40
by GreenOwl
xx
types of nettings - complete novice

Started by potatogrower on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 14:10
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 29 queries.