Underplanting to maintain and increase fertility

• 12 Replies

Zippy

Underplanting to maintain and increase fertility
« on: June 21, 2010, 16:06 »
I am wondering if anyone else has come across this one - underplanting the harvest crop with an underplanting of green manure. For example, a crop of squashes underplanted with a nitrogen fixer like vetches or clover, or even planting peas and climbing beans up bamboo cane tripods in among the squash bed.

It doesn't work with many veggies that don't like competition or could give rise to soil diseases - for example you wouldn't grow brassicas and mustard together or mustard before brassicas due to the rise of club root, but turnips and most cabbage types don't mind the extra nitrogen of annual red clover.

Just another way of increasing fertility without resporting to great loads of manure.

Yabba

Re: Underplanting to maintain and increase fertility
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 16:24 »
I was under the impression that the nitrogen collected by beans/peas/etc was in "white nodules" attached to the roots, and was released the following year as they decomposed? Hence why brassicas follow legumes?

¥

Zippy

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 16:29 »
True to a point but there is also some fixing of nitrogen and passing to the companion plant (eg the squashes) while the nitrogen fixer is still live. Then on hoeing the bed through the nitrogen is released as you say and is why I follow up with brassicas.

As I have sandy soil it is also a way to prevent nutrients leaching away and keeps the growing beds together.  I'm still researching this with high hopes.

Yabba

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 16:43 »
But then you'd have brassica following brassica?

I have sandy soil and drainage ditches under each bed ;)

Not knocking you, was just inquiring.

¥

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 16:53 »
I think I have confused you Yabba.  If I were planting Brassica the next year, my green manure would be a legume like vetch, tares or clover. I would not use mustard as it is - as you say - a brassica.

The idea of undersowing with a nitrogen fixer is so the Squashes can benefit from an increase of nitrogen in the bed which is being fixed by the green manure crop.

As I say, this is experimental at the moment, but I have hopes. I also have concerns that the green manure might literally fix the available nitrogen in the soil until it is hoed through and only then is it released.

I am waiting for the Soil Association and Vegan Organic Network to get back with their opinion on this one as they have several articles on this.

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 17:05 »
Ok, I'm on track now, I missed the squashes part ;)

Be interesting to see if it works.

¥

zazen999

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 17:51 »
I was reading up on it today as a matter of fact, on the Garden Organic website, in the member section [not sure if you are a member or not]....and yes you've got it right.

Great idea and 'phew' as I already sowed red clover under my popcorn last week. :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 18:00 »
On countrywatch yesterday they visited an organic farm and their crops all were undersown with clover. It improves yield and the soil structure, when it is ploughed in, plus it stops unwanted weeds from growing.

How easy it would be to manage on an allotment, is another matter. Can just imagine the old boys' faces  :lol:

ziggy66

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 20:59 »
This sounds very interesting.
Nitrogen fixing, weed supression and improved soil structure - is there a catch??

Which is the best, red clover looks good, as it would not grow too tall, so sit well under my sweetcorn.

Can I sow now, my sweetcorn are 2-3 feet tall?
How long before it grows?
When do you dig in?

Lots of questions, but I though my plot was full.  :D

Zippy

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 23:04 »
If its sweetcorn you're thinking of underplanting, you're not too early to get some peas or mange toute going. These  will find their own way up sticks you put in for them and also cling onto the sweetcorn for lateral support.

Start them off in toilet rolls and slot them in with a narrow trowel when they are tough enough to start going out alone.

I think green manures come into their own on beds containing squashes and the like, where other plants just wouldn't compete, or apparently most brassicas (not swede or turnip as they don't like root competition) benefit from a nitrogen fixer underplanting.

Fascinating stuff and as mumofstig says - just watch out for the old boys saying your beds are choked with weeds! Makes it worthwhile just thinking about that alone!

How long before it grows - mine have always shown through in a week or two. If they get too thick or tall and start competing you can just shear them down and they'll grow again (most legumes), making a rick carpet holding nutrients and moisture in the soil.

When do you dig it in? Well i hoe it off and let it rot down before the next crops. if it is an overwintering crop and potatoes are coming up behind, I just cover the manure crop with newspaper and deep layer of compost and the green manure just rots underneath making a great bed to plant your seed potatoes in. New potatoes then grow in the compost and not the soil; coming out clean and pest free. Wonderful.

rock_chick

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:28 »
My local NT garden that I volunteered in did this, in the walled kitchen garden last year. They underplanted squashes with red clover. It seemed to work really well, as all the squashes were huge at the end of the year. Also helped with keeping weeds down.
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

Trikidiki

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 13:34 »
I have trefoil growing under my brassicas. I aim to do the same for the sweetcorn which are in pots ready to replace the broad beans.

I have courgettes underplanted under my Borlotti Beans so somewhat reversing the process but the effect is the same.

I'm on sandy soil so the aim is to get as much organic matter into the soil as possible.

stephenandbeverley

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 17:57 »
one of the guys at my allotment is doing something similar with his broad beans and it is working really well.

I have sown radishes, beans, butternut squash and sweetcorn all mixed up in the same bed with my cucumbers and courgettes on the edge of the same bed with radishes around, a sort of extension to the three sisters technique i thought. First year trying it though so no year of results to look back on yet, I have also sown my carrots and beetroot inbetween rows of onions which apparently works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants is a table i looked at alot when deciding what i would plant where, my thoughts were some veg may not come out so well but as each bed would be producing a lot more then that would be fine. Give me a great excuse not to do as much weeding as well.

xx
underplanting grapes

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 15:38
by Trillium
xx
underplanting sweetcorn

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 22:59
by Bombers
xx
Underplanting brussel sprouts

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 08:01
by ptarmigan
xx
Underplanting sweetcorn with celery.

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 08:06
by chris23005

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 34 queries.