Strawberries

• 10 Replies

sarah-king

• Experienced Member
Strawberries
« on: June 06, 2010, 13:10 »
I only have a few plants in tubs and now the flowers are gone and berries forming rather than net them would they be happy in the greenhouse.. ?

Trillium

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 14:46 »
The greenhouse would work provided there's some ventilation so they don't cook when there's lots of sun.

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 14:49 »
Strawberries don't neet to grow in greenhouses.  They are very happy outside.  They should be ok outside without the netting.  There's quite a few of us at our allotment who not only have strawberry beds outside, but also hanging baskets of them (I even have a large pot of them at my home) without netting and the birds don't bother them in the least :D.  Although when I was weeding the bed yesterday, I found a snail hiding in  there, so I just through it out and hope the birds will enjoy the little snack or hopefully hedgehogs during the night :wub:
Babs

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 15:00 »
I have the opposite problem - the little beasts sit in the trees waiting for me to leave so they can raid my patch  :mad:

iggyboy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 15:11 »
hello,I have owned my plot for two seasons now and my first move was to buy a polytunnel.I have had great success with tomatoes,cucumbers and melons in there. I have also planted many strawberry plants in there and the success rate is fantastic! So maybe strawberries will be just as good grown in a greenhouse,I dont see why not. Give it a try,I know my polytunnel has allowed me strawberries weeks in front of other plot holders growing them outdoors. 
...the night was dark...they usually are!

goodegg

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 15:34 »
strawberries will grow inside or out outside the birds really dont mind at all when i had just a few i used to put a jam jar over them when they were nearly ripe otherwise i wouldnnt get an to eat but now i have more and they are in a fruit cage with goose gogs and rasps  mabe we got different birds over here :D

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 16:21 »
I actually caught the culprit who was eating my strawberries in pots, even the green ones!!! It was a cheeky female blackbird!! The pots were originally sitting on the side of the raised beds (they are lined with sleepers so a nice shelf arrangement around the edge). However, I have now moved them all to an old patio table which sits outside my kitchen door but it is in a "half porch" type of thing - two brick walls at right angles to each other and a roof over the top. I have discovered that they still ripen there because it is warm and they don't seem to need the actual sun. There is still plenty of daylight and I have foiled the birds because I turn the plant so that the berries are hidden from view slightly. Besides the birds tend not to come so close to the house.

Next year the strawberries in pots will be planted out, and they will be netted like the others.  ;)

BADBACK

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 17:09 »
EYUP
when your strawbs are flowering
get yourself some small pebbles
paint them red, have fun watching
the birds peck at them, and smile
when your fruit is left alone,

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 23:02 »
I'm growing my strawberries in 'half a greenhouse'.

A chap on a neighbouring plot wanted to get rid of a 6ft square greenhouse which had lost  several panes of glass.

I rebuilt it on my plot with glass on one side to give some rigidity and the roof to keep the rain off the fruit. The other three sides are netted. This allows access to insects to pollinate but keeps the birds out, also gives ventilation to prevent fungal diseases.

Inside I have four 4-tier shelves, each shelf holds a growbag with four plants. This keeps the berries off the ground as well so no soil splash or slugs.

Also have a strawberry planter, several pots and a couple of small troughs of strawberries on the ground as well.

They're all first year plants and have been producing loads of fruit for about two weeks so far and I estimate with the various varieties will continue for another 4 weeks.

I may reglaze the other sides for the winter to bring them on earlier next year.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 23:28 »
I'm growing my strawberries in 'half a greenhouse'.

A chap on a neighbouring plot wanted to get rid of a 6ft square greenhouse which had lost  several panes of glass.

I rebuilt it on my plot with glass on one side to give some rigidity and the roof to keep the rain off the fruit. The other three sides are netted. This allows access to insects to pollinate but keeps the birds out, also gives ventilation to prevent fungal diseases.

Inside I have four 4-tier shelves, each shelf holds a growbag with four plants. This keeps the berries off the ground as well so no soil splash or slugs.

Also have a strawberry planter, several pots and a couple of small troughs of strawberries on the ground as well.

They're all first year plants and have been producing loads of fruit for about two weeks so far and I estimate with the various varieties will continue for another 4 weeks.

I may reglaze the other sides for the winter to bring them on earlier next year.

What a good idea! Hope it stays up in a gale though!  :blink:

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 02:27 »
Was watching a magpie family try to get through my nets to eat the strawbs tonight!!!

Sat there smug! one battle won,lol

xx
DD, Your Strawberries?

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 19:14
by DD.
xx
Strawberries

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 20:25
by sunshineband
xx
Strawberries

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 08:40
by mumofstig
xx
what do I now do with my strawberries

Started by Debsie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 20:18
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 32 queries.