What kind of Flea powder/fluid do I need?

• 5 Replies

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« on: May 31, 2007, 15:08 »
Hello people, just a quick question as to what kind of flea powder/fluid I should be using to get rid of fleas on Chickens? I noticed this morning when I went to check on my clocker, fleas were getting on my hands, 2 of them. They were a sort of murky white colour. So if 2 can get on me that fast then there must be alot more of them. Ive never noticed this before, what can I do to prevent it in the future, or control? Mant thanks in advance....Mark :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 15:16 »
They were probably lice rather than fleas Mark.  Don't you have any powder to sprinkle in their house, red mite powder or something similar.  You can use that on the hens too.  Inspect your hens regularly and treat as soon as you find any.  repeat at about weekly intervals.

Make sure to keep their house clean and dust all nooks and crannies for red mite.  

Hens need to dust-bath to rid themselves of parasites.  I add powder to their dust-bath in their run too.

I use Diatom for that.

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 17:32 »
Thanks Sally, I'll get myself some and keep on top of it. They did look like lice actually, tried to get something today from local petshops but nothing like that, so will have to get about tomorrow and definatley get something!!! My hens do like a good dust bath in their run. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 17:48 »
Red mite powded is good.  They have a louse powder too, but red mite powder will deal with both.  See here, scroll down

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/poultry_medicine.htm?gclid=CP732vHsuIwCFSVEEAodBmm7IQ

Have a google around for prices.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 19:59 »
hi gm

depending where you are in the north east ,bennets farm at blyth sells most things you need for mites /lice and sprays for there shed we also get chicken food there

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 17:30 »
hi mark more info can be found on aunt sallys new stickys above well done aunt they are very informative a bit heavy but they cover a lot of subject matter all relavant to animal husbandry.
if your near middlesbrough mark try armstrong richards at stoksley they have it all.
alan

xx
mite powder vs louse powder

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 20:17
by joyfull
xx
What kind of hen

Started by Nancy legbar on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 22:55
by Nancy legbar
xx
What kind of chook?

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 16, 2009, 08:26
by joyfull
xx
Do I have to be cruel to be kind?

Started by ahussey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 09:30
by ahussey

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 37 queries.