Different options for me as a newbie - which would be the most effective?

• 11 Replies

Diva

hi,
I have been considering getting some chickens for quite some time, but hubby is very against it - probably as he is allergic to eggs and hasnt eaten one since he was under 2 when they realised he wasnt right with them (my opinion is that its now in his head and he is fine as he eats things that are made with eggs.....)

anyway - i guess the idea of them being at home is out of the question, i have just been reading the thread about some neighbours complaining and i can see it happening here! (used to be a semi rural area, now built up all around, we used to keep a pony here, neighbours had goats, chickens, horses etc - now its all new houses!)

I do however have quite a bit of land at my disposal!
I run a livery yard so have facilities there, but i also have an additional 5/6 acres elsewhere which i could use.
So, i would be wanting something that can have quite a lot of free run and be happy with this.

The 5/6 field did have some geese on for years but they seem to have suddenly vanished - which is rather concerning. there are no remains so.............. There is a nice pond there so i would be worried they would drown!

At the yard, there is about 1 fox left as the local land owner gets a guy to shoot them..... i dont like that idea but i do understand they have to be controlled etc. At this place though, i would somehow have to contain them more as despite there being more land, there is more mischief they could get upto - ie, getting into tennis court, ornamental lawns and gardens etc.

I COULD have the option of using one of my back paddocks which is further away from the ornamental gardens etc, this is maybe 2 acres and has shelters in - i would put a front on one of these as a coop.  They would have free range all day on the land, hopefully staying in that paddock!  There is no pond in this field so i guess would be better????

I would prob be looking at dual purpose chickens (but i would have to find someone else to do the deed for me!) and am also interested in having some turkeys (until Christmas.... again, would have to find someone to do the deed for me, pluck etc etc!)  I understand that there is extra precauctions i would have to take with mixing turkeys and chickens, can anyone go into more depth about these?

ALSO - finally, how noisey are they REALLY???  How far would you say they could be heard?  I am thinking i dont want to annoy anyone!

So - based on the above. What do you all think would be my best option?? And what variety, management methods etc.

I have 2 young sons and it would be my hope that as they grow up, they can take an interest in them as they seem to enjoy scrambled egg for breakfast!

Sorry for the long post and thank you for taking the time to read it :)
Running the Fresh Start For Hens Blackpool Collection Point for the 15th October 2011

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
If you want them for both meat and eggs then you need a utility breed (eat any young cockerels and save the hens) - try light sussex or wellsummers. Turkeys shouldn't run on the same ground as hens as the hens can infect the turkeys with blackhead. Even though you think there is only one fox you can bet there will be more so you need good fox protection - a well erected electric fence. If you cull cockerels at 20 weeks they shouldn't have been crowing for long but to keep breeding you will need to keep at least one. Some hens are quiet whilst others will make a noise to let you know that they have laid, are going to lay, something has frightened them or just the fact that they like the sound of their own voices  :lol:. I don't find them too noisy at all and can't wait for my two boys to start crowing. Joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

matilda duck

Hiya and welcome to the site! :lol:

My little girl can't have eggs, as they are or in cakes ect.  But you try stopping her egg collecting ???  I have to leave them until she comes home from school :blink:
So hubby really shouldn't worry too much.
Neighbours can be funny things.  We have 10 hens & 1 cockerel as long as neighbours get to have free eggies every now and then, not much to worry about.

Now as you, have a nice pond how about using it for a couple or 5 :lol: duckies.  They will give you wonderful eggs especially for baking ;)
Chickens/ducks are no more noisier than a dog barking. and most people love to hear a chicken rather than a dog!!
Could you get electric fencing to help protect your girls from predators!?  This way they could free range to their hearts content!

Hope I've been some use with my answers there are some VERY knowledgable people on here if you need advice :nowink:

Oh and good luck!!

Diva

thanks for the replies.

You have both mentioned electric fencing, how exactly do you mean this?

Obviously, having horses, we have electric fencing, but its your typical line of electric at maybe 4ft high?  How would you suggest to use electric fencing for chickens?
The fencing all around the paddock i am favouring using at the moment is all sheep netting.

Re ducks, never really considered them, but i dont know, the idea of eating duck eggs just doesnt sound right to me at the moment, chances are my opinions will change with time :)

matilda duck

I'm sure we can change your mind ;)  Doesn't take long for us ducky people :lol:

joyfull

Take a look at this link for electric fencing information

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.msg307988#msg307988

You could have ducks and hens for the eggs  :D

Kate and her Ducks

Can't help much with the practiaclities of hens as I just have ducks and they lay the best eggs ever for cooking and baking! I find it hard to go back to hens eggs now! I do agree with you that your husbands "allergy" sounds like it is in his head. The proteins that start the allergic reaction will be the same in a cake or scrambled eggs but some people just don't like eggs! Maybe he would be fine with duck eggs! ;)

I'm very jealous of all the space you have. I'm sure whatever you go with they will have laods of space to make the most of.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Diva

thanks,

i now have a question re electric fencing but will post that seperatley. 

I wouldnt have a clue about ducks, i must say, i think i could be tempted!  Over all of the fields we do have quite a lot of ponds but do they need locking in etc at night or do they have little houses on the pondside etc?  sorry for such dumb questions but i have never known anyone who has ducks.

joyfull

Now you've done it Vember and Kate will be paying you a visit if you're not carefull - they visited Rob the other day and he's now having ducks after lots of persuasion despite his so called protestations  :lol: :lol:

nzdunn

just to add about the noise, i live in a very built up estate and it worried me at first but luckily i dont have bad neighbours, no one has ever said anything to me about them so i take it there not bothered.   My next door neighbour is fantastic shes been so good, yesterday i had saved my girlies eggs up and gave her a box, she was well chuffed.   The only time i really hear them is when they have laid eggs but if i just open the kitchen door they shut up straight away, they like to also tell me if theres a cat in the garden aswell, apart from that they are no louder than a dog that sits in the garden and barks all day.     nickyx

Kate and her Ducks

In many respects ducks need the same things as chickens but are generally a lot less fussy. The need locking up at night and protection against predators like foxes. They are a lot less fussy in terms of housing. They don't need anthing with perches and nest boxes. Mine just have a converted garden storage chest. They are much less prone to illness than chickens.

I love mine and would never be without them.

dizzylizzie

i have chickens and i love them to bit...i would never ever be without them now....but what i'd give for ducks  :D i loveee runner duckies, as soon as i have the room im have 2 or 10 ;)...the eggs are to die for, and really are fab for baking....
as far as your hubbies allergy, well i would get him along to the doctors for an allergy test as my eldest had and allergy to eggs when he was younger and he couldnt eat anything with eggs in without coming out in huge hives and his neck and mouth swelling up.He had grown out of it by the time he was seven...chances are he was probably ill and that what his parents put his sickness down to. i would imagine an allergy to eggs would give him a reaction ,what ever they happen to be in :)

xx
Newbie still after options

Started by BigMark on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 17:49
by BigMark
xx
new housing options..

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 08:04
by jackie
xx
Jeyes as an effective cleaner

Started by skelly on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 09:07
by Pretty Chick
xx
Effective worming technique?

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 19:06
by raeburg

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 35 queries.