Carol Kline on tonight

• 11 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Carol Kline on tonight
« on: March 13, 2009, 19:38 »
Carol Kline on tonight at 8pm BBC2.
Her life growing plants 4 part (ithink) series.
Hope it's a good one...we'll see :)

tallulah

Re: Carol Kline on tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 18:14 »
If that was the Gardener's World slot, then I snored the whole way through it!  More about Carol Klein than gardening etc - not particularly thrilling.  (But better than the tosh on BBC1, or is that just me?  I'd gladly pay more for comic relief if they DIDN'T fill the airwaves with dreadful 'comedy' and grandiose presenters!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 19:09 »
Yes wasn't what i was expecting. Wanted to see more of her garden and her growing plants........not all the old chums.

Just a thought....... if you snored all the way through it, how do you know you didn't miss some thrilling bits :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 19:14 »
I used to love CK,but Ive slowly gonr off her, I HATE the way she eats (pedantic I know) and its all 'lovey darling' these days with her. Stop being so 'flowery' Carol,and get back to that good down to earth lass!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

FCG

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 21:00 »
One problem with garden shows. You need to put a camera in place for an entire year and speed it up to see a 'proper' view of a garden throughout the year.  I dislike the snapshot views when its all pretty with a presenter talking about it.

We have yet to hit upon a good gardening presenter. Except perhaps monty don.

I think gardeners world needs a massive overhaul. Everytime they do something interesting it gets cut short. Say they'll have that twerp on his allotment which can be mildly interesting and boom. Back to 5 minutes of someone talking over some pointless hoeing. AGH. Might as well be a chatshow with plants in the background.

</rant>
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 21:10 by FCG »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 21:08 »
We have yet to hit upon a good gardening presenter. Except perhaps monty don

See, it's all a matter of personal taste...i preferred Alan to Monty ::)
But do agree GW never covers anything in detail any more, with sooo many presenters in each prog for their 5 mins of fame and then the guests.....you get nothing worth watching.
It was best when, for a little while, they let it have a whole hour of the weekly schedule, but that didn't last long :(

FCG

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 21:13 »
I think an hour would work with a max of four presenters. 15 minutes is long enough to do some good detail but not so long as you get bored.

Mumofstig - how was carol's show? I didn't see it.
(ps i said monty as its the only one i know by name... not a personal choice).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 21:46 »
how was carol's show?

Not good really, a bit dissapointing :(
Thought she'd show her plants and her garden, her favourites through the years.
But no we visited roy lancaster n his garden and a few chelsea flower show type mates that she knows ::)
Only bit i thought was interesting was when she went to the house she lived in as a child. Next door was still same man and they reminisced looking through the back fence.

Don't think i'll be reminding anyone to watch the next 3 (i think) in the series....... :unsure:
 :lol:

FCG

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 21:59 »
Shame. She 'wrote' a half decent book.

Who's show would you recommend?

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:30 »
Bring back Geoff Hamilton!

I like Monty and I liked Alan... Rachel de Thame (sp?) does it for me  ;) but I actually quite like Carol Kline, the two books are very accessible for a 'newbie' like me (been interested in gardening for years, but only just got the land to do it on) but that programme p*ssed me off; I'm not interested in watching people visit their old family garden or sitting crying at the memory of their lost loved ones (I do enough of that myself from time to time!  :D)

It's only a matter of time before the BBC jumps on the coattails of the allotment 'fashion' and come up with a series - let's just hope they make a good job of it. Personally, I'd prefer to see someone with dirt on their collar than these designy types.

Rant over.

wafflycat

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 10:55 »
Geoff Hamilton was very good and the only thing I didn't like was his definition of a small garden.. his small garden was *huge* compared to that many a modern house plot has. Alan Titchmarsh was good too - more lighthearted and overtly enthusiastic than Geoff. Monty Don I could never take to on the programme. Came across as far, far too serious. But I do think the work he's done on promoting gardening as a way out of various bad stuff folk get involved in his to be congratulated and encouraged. Rachel de Thame is good and I prefer her to Carol Kline.

Debbie D

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 07:53 »
I do like Carol but she does get a bit wearing after a while. I think Rachel de Thame is very good and makes a subject interesting (although she looks a bit too immaculate - jealous, me?).  I also think Alys Fowler is watchable, although she looks like she should be in a Harry Potter film as one of the Weasleys.

xx
Going to be a frosty one tonight...

Started by mushroom on General Gardening

30 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 23:26
by Sally A

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 32 queries.