Digging a pond

• 13 Replies

Rubellite

Digging a pond
« on: March 14, 2009, 13:28 »
I have been reading about the wildlife pond in the recent thread. I wonder if any of you have ideas regarding a pond on a bigger scale. I have a field that slopes away towards a brook that is not on my land. The lower part of my field is very boggy at this time of year, The soil is stony over clay. Question: If I dug out (with the help of local farmer and digger) a large pond (am thinking 30 foot diameter approx) do you suppose it would fill up with water and stay there or just become a boggier mess. I don't really want to get into liners and filters - I would like a natural pond, not an ornamental pond. I am sure I have read somewhere about treading down the clay. Has anyone tried this? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
RedRuby

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Digging a pond
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 13:36 »
You can "puddle" a pond with clay but it's supposed to be more difficult than it sounds, good thick layer 6" of clay all over and walked over and over then smoothed with hands. Sounds like great fun !!

I found this article the other day which was quite good, I'm already thinking about a second pond but bigger  :blush:

http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/sheffield/commuityhandbook/section8/ponds.htm
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 13:50 »
You wouldn't need a filter unless you are stocking it with big fish. It might be simpler to go for a liner though rather than find it doesn't hold much and need to pump out what it does to get a liner in. Once it's established you won't see the liner  :)

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 16:22 »
Ah, puddle - that was the word I was looking for. Thanks (off to research more)  :happy:

treacleminer

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 16:46 »
This man advertises clay puddling in the back of the nfu countryside magazine http://www.pondman.co.uk/

and www.whitehorsecontractors.co.uk
and
www.nfu.pond-liners.uk.com

& I'm really, really jeallous - I WANT a pond big enough for a boat :tongue2:

Have fun :D :D :D

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 19:32 »

& I'm really, really jeallous - I WANT a pond big enough for a boat :tongue2:

Have fun :D :D :D

[/quote]

Aww. If it ever gets done (and there's an awful lot around here that will be done first) I'll post you a picture. And one day, you may have the space too. I've wanted a bit of land for as long as I can remember and I consider myself very lucky to be here. I spent 2 hours on my tractor mower this afternoon cutting the weeds in half of the field, plugged in to my music with a great big grin on my face - when I wasn't singing at the top of my voice!! I love it!! :D

Ferris

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 19:53 »
On a similar thread I am in the middle of creating a new "fowl" heaven at the bottom of my garden. Part of this area needs a pond for our call ducks. At present we use an old Belfast sink but this is not ideal at it needs emptying twice a week and the water sort of floods the ground around (we also have very clay ground under us).

In the new area I want a nice natural pond for the ducks. I am trying to find out how big it needs to be in order that the water can remain in there without need for a filter or similar. Also I am worried about using liner in case a duck puts a foot through it so any general ideas or advice gratefully accepted.

penance

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 21:29 »
Can't remember where i heard this but it struck me as a good idea.

It was a pond with puddled clay but there was a geotextile fabric under the puddling. Apparently it gave extra stability and flexibility to the clay and also stops any burrowing animals weakening the puddled clay.

FCG

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 21:58 »
If you do use a liner please please please put a laminated card underneath it berating anyone who dares dig it up.

If you use the clay the best thing i can say is to check your angles. Too steep edges and it'll fall right off.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 22:02 »
Slightly off topic but..
The brook at the side of my house if you walk further up it you come across large areas of grey concrete looking stuff so smooth looking, but when you touch it and push your hand in it's clay ! it looks and feels fab  :blush:

Rubellite

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 22:14 »
 :lol:
Now that is an odd thing to do.  ::)
I have a lot of stones to get through before reaching the clay, although I have to say I haven't really tried to turn over any of the really boggy stuff. Just poked in the bits of willow and put the spade in and wiggled it back and forth for the poplars as they came bare rooted. Maybe there's no stones in the "clay seam".

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:15 »
I wonder if dope on this exists by googling "swimming pond" which became quite fashionable in recent years.  Anybody who is anybody had one :D

Praps why I aint got one  :mad:

Rubellite

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 20:23 »
Wow. I just googled swimming pond. Great idea but sounds considerably more expensive than a farmer with a digger followed by a clay mud fight/bonanza with 5 teenagers aka a puddling exercise - lol.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 06:56 »
Wow what a nice idea a swimming pond it would save me putting up the12ft round pool ever year :D Im liking the pics i have googled this morning
Thanks
Kris

xx
HELP, pond pump drained my pond

Started by Clarky86 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 08:04
by JayG
xx
A pond for Ben

Started by iggyboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 17:34
by iggyboy
xx
Greetings from across 'The Pond'

Started by Coltar223 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 10:31
by chimaera
xx
my pond

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 21:15
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 36 queries.