moles

• 23 Replies

freda

moles
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36 »
We have old fashioned harware store by us and am happy to get and post to you if you wish!

Another idea to rid of moles my mum treid with success - her new lawn had just been laid on her beautifully landscaped garden - Backing onto open fields of course the little blighter was going to spot something new and check it out!  :? Day 2 - mole hill appears with new turf still balanced on top! Mum peeled up the prize turf carefully and with an evil smile  :twisted: shoved the hose down the hole and switched it on.
She forgot  :oops: and left it running for the whole day but the mole never returned. Good job at that time she was not on a water meter!  :oops:
Good luck everyone who's ridding of moles - we're just focussing on the rats! May need another cat!
Hellooo! I am new to this site and relatively new to keeping chickens but what fun we are having! would love more and hubby coming around to my way of thinking! Kids in love with them!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: moles
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 10:53 »
:lol:

Quote from: "freda"
we're just focussing on the rats! May need another cat!
  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2827&highlight=pet+friendly    :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

pushrod

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 13:44 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2827&highlight=pet+friendly    :wink:

4 pages and no mention of moles - do they eat sweet things? Would be quite nice to hear little underground explosions :lol:
I have heard of molecatchers injecting worms with strychnine or was it arsenic that they then put in the tunnels. Either way i don't suppose you can buy poisons at the local chemist without some sort of licence.
I remember as a small boy going along country roads and seeing dozens of moles hung up on barbed wire by the molecatcher. Haven't seen that sight in years.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 13:49 »
Quote from: "pushrod"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

4 pages and no mention of moles - do they eat sweet things? Would be quite nice to hear little underground explosions :lol:
I have heard of molecatchers injecting worms with strychnine or was it arsenic that they then put in the tunnels. Either way i don't suppose you can buy poisons at the local chemist without some sort of licence.
I remember as a small boy going along country roads and seeing dozens of moles hung up on barbed wire by the molecatcher. Haven't seen that sight in years.

I was thinking of Freda's Rat problem can't see the moles would eat it unless you can coat earthworms in it  :lol:

EssexMoles

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 19:14 »
If anyone needs any advice on setting traps for moles, I'd be happy to advise.
Set traps in the right place and you will catch within 24 hours if not sooner.

Foxy

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 21:01 »
We have mole hills springing up all over the place -but i sorta like them, will use the nicely prepared soil for seed beds and will just patch up the lawn. Really dont have the heart to trap them. I know foxes will dig for them. Watched a pair of foxes digging  one of our many mole hills- I know moles dont like fox urine so maybe my mole will disappear...next door! :tongue2:

Sassy

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 08:29 »
I too have had moles in the hen run this year.  A real pain as it has made the mud situation far worse. I went and did a mole course run by a chap that does it for a living.  Currently setting 4 traps a day and 75% of them are in the right place, witnessed by soil in the run that I had cleaned out. Sometimes the traps are set off but ..... no moles. I will keep trying as they make a real mess and will rid swathes of land of worms which is not good for the land.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member

pushrod

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 18:59 »
An update - i did get some moth balls from a big wilko and i did put a hose into their runs - for at least 30 mins and they still didn't fill up or overflow anywhere else  :ohmy:
The moth balls had some success but i used quite a few packets. They obviously didn't like them but tended to just throw up another mole hill a couple of feet away rather than clearing out altogether.
 Anyway the little B****** have recently started getting in my raised veg beds as well - so went back to the big wilkinsons to get more moth balls only to discover they don't sell them anymore because of them chemicals in them - :mad:
but then as i was leaving the store... a result - there on the sale shelf was a solar powered mole repeller for just £1. Got home and phoned my local wilko to see if they had any of the reduced mole repellers - No but the very nice lady did a search on her computer and found 2 more at Hucknall and even arranged for them to be transferred  :).
So now war is resumed with 3 mole repellers... maybe this time!

xx
Moles

Started by Le Coq on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2006, 19:45
by John

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 35 queries.