Picking my first crop tomorrow

• 7 Replies

Oliveview

« on: November 14, 2006, 10:26 »
Turnip.... off to see hubby in Scotland, just to make sure he remembers me!! Still another 2-3 weeks untill he can return home to good old wifey here, MIL has the plaster off her leg tomorrow all being well.  As he is the one who likes turnip I thought I´d be good and take him some- seeing as I am not that keen on white turnip.
Will have a good look in here on Thursday as I am staying at a friends with a land line and a pc........luxury!
Pamela :D

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 11:35 »
take care with ya parsnips in ya luggage  olive  , you may get stopped by over zealous  border guards and charged with bringing in materials to build and organic b...omb  ,can just see the headlines ,

Woman terrorist arrested at airport

a woman on a plane from spain who tried to go to scotland
     for the rain  :roll:  
was caught carrying parsnip bombs capable of killing the taste of a full sunday lunch . the woman who grew the devices in her garden was seen acting suspicously trying to conceal the tip of said device in her luggage .the NDSA ( NAT ASOC SOIL DIGGERS ) or allotment holders  govt  compost expert mr John Prescott MP said these devices are full of nitrogen and other vitamins ,the dangerooos part is in the iron  that becomes lethal when they are digested in abnormal amounts . the woman was transfered to cumbria and is now detained in throwerspercy high security camp  ...

okkkkkkkkk so im cracking up , :tongue2:
still alive /............

Oliveview

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:01 »
Hi Muntjac, not only did I have turnip I had potatoes too,,,,,,,,,,, all cleaned of soil.  As I was picking up my suitcase off the carosel (case full of bottles of olives :lol: )  I saw the sign that said no potatoes!! Whoops.  As I went through the nothing to declare bit there were two ' guards' they didn't notice my hands sweating with fear! They had pulled a man over who had I don't know how many boxes of ciggies.

The potatoes were planted 8 weeks ago and they are a good size, not a huge yield to each plant, about 4-6 large spuds on each, but what the hell, they were free and grown by me!  :D

Pamela

milkman

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:04 »
v. good muntjac, but sadly in these strange times probably not too far from the actual truth!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:21 »
Plant diseases can be invisible. The responsible thing to do is NOT compost the peelings from those potatoes here in the UK. Throw it out so it gets incinerated properly.
I'd never think to bring plants/fruit/veg into the country from abroad but maybe that's because I'm from the US and it's quite illegal to do so even across some states and there's food sniffing dogs at the airports (not just the drug sniffing ones) to check the luggage of recently landed international flights.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:27 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
Plant diseases can be invisible. The responsible thing to do is NOT compost the peelings from those potatoes here in the UK. Throw it out so it gets incinerated properly.
I'd never think to bring plants/fruit/veg into the country from abroad but maybe that's because I'm from the US and it's quite illegal to do so even across some states and there's food sniffing dogs at the airports (not just the drug sniffing ones) to check the luggage of recently landed international flights.

Sense and laws are often not found together!
Medwyn told me he was allowed to take carrots into the US for his lecture tour but not parsnips (talking about exhibition specimens here) - go figure?
Also you can bring things in from the EU but not outside, as if bugs and disease respect international borders and free trade conventions.
The Australians seem to take cross border transmission seriously though (I suppose the rabbits and toads showed them what could happen)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 12:06 »
the rabbit thing was a massive thing john , mom sister emigrated  ( forcibly on a troop ship attacked by the japs to ozz ) during the final days of the war . she married a farmer in nsw i think it was and  we had pictures of rabbit roundups . they used to stretch wire on posts for thouands  of yards  and the end came into a yard  and they would then go out and drive the rabbits into the netting making them run into the yard where gangs of natives and farm hands  with sticks and whatever else they could hold would club them to death . my mom had a picture of the family stood in front on this pile of rabbits  gleaned from local press and it was about 6 body lengths wide and a full body hieght tall  and it was siad to contain 6000 rabbits and  what was sad was there was families in the cities that didnt have food on the table and all this waste . an estimated 40 million rabbits in her state was a lot of good meat that could have been processed in some way i would think , but then ,i wasnt living there  :cry:  and what it brings to mind now is the massacre of the buffalo by the whites in america where they had pictures taken of the bone mountains .all buffalo bones awaiting to be processed into  fertiliser. that picture contained the bones from some 30,000 dead buffalo and again indian children were dying from hunger

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 12:58 »
Take your point, Karl.  The ecological damage of rabbits being introduced without a natural check on their numbers being the problem. Like the rats that hit some south sea island and killed off the native birds or even the new Zealand flatworm we've managed to introduce here in nusery potted plants.

xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
Picking pea shoots

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 15:10
by oldbean
xx
Picking Celery

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 03:27
by sclarke624
xx
picking my pears

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 10:54
by muntjac

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 34 queries.