To polish or not to polish.

• 26 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: To polish or not to polish.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 08:39 »
You're right there AS. I like things cleaned but still with the patina if you understand what I mean. I do hate to see brasses with those green Brasso leftovers.  :wacko: We have other brasses from horses such as swingers and probably 500 genuine horse brasses (some on leather straps and a few with coloured ceramic knobs in the centre) stored away that we had in our old cottage which will go to auction sometime soon. We also had a huge cart-horse saddle that was mounted on a wall. Glad I don't have to clean those now. Didn't get to do the Peek yesterday but will try it today.
AS - re- a previous post about a good antique furniture cream, you recommended one but it comes in a tin and I'm going to have the same problem keeping the lid on long-term. Do you know one that either the tin has metal clips to keep it on or one in a glass Kilner-type jar?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2023, 10:28 »
The lid of the Harrell’s tin will stay on (ours does) it’s an inset lid like syrup tins.  Give it a gently bas with a hammer to ensure it’s seated and use a large screw driver to lever it off.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2023, 10:31 »
Use a cotton bud to get into textured brass designs, both to apply the peek and to remove any residue.

A light polish with some wax to protect it from the air - Renaissance Wax is best, it is available in small pots.

wighty

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2023, 16:55 »
I knew we sold beeswax sticks in the shop and I had a look this morning.  Still got a nearly full box.  The recommended date on them was 2020. (not sell by, or best by, it j ust said  recommended.)  I've bought a couple home and intend to melt them and do......................  Some ideas would be appreciated.

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2023, 18:40 »
Use a cotton bud to get into textured brass designs, both to apply the peek and to remove any residue.

A light polish with some wax to protect it from the air - Renaissance Wax is best, it is available in small pots.

Aunty, you should have been the expert on 'Lovejoy's' programmes! You have some real expertise and skills there!

My grandfather made a coffee table back in the nineteen-twenties, and when we inherited it, it really did need some TLC and also a re-style, as the legs, although cut from one beech piece, (he somehow built everything from that stuff), looked a bit weedy, so Mrs Growster asked me if I could alter them...

The nearest I could get was some oak from a trade place, and although the legs look reasonably fine now, the finish always needs a good seeing-to!

I remade the table a year ago, so the oak has nearly met the colour, but your ideas and comments have spurred me on!

He also cast a brass centrepiece for the table, (he had a plumbing workshop in Letchworth), and if I can get a picture of it before Mrs Growster covers it with DVDs and other dross, I'll try and post it!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2023, 21:48 »

Aunty, you should have been the expert on 'Lovejoy's' programmes! You have some real expertise and skills there!

I spend a day each week carrying out conservation work in a National Trust house, Mr G.

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2023, 08:24 »
AS - what a satisfying job that must be. I love to see someone removing age-old dirt from paintings with a cotton bud or similar. Unfortunately I don't have any to clean except an old oil painting of a fox done by my late aunty-in-law. Thanks for all your help and is much appreciated. I'll take pics of pre- Peek and post-Peek to see what you think of the job.

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2023, 09:38 »
AS - just polished the oak chest lock with the Peek and am so pleased with the way it went on and looks. Took a pre- and post pic but it didn't show it very well. Also tried it on a genuine piece of trench art made from a large ammo shell and now looks lovely with none of that pinkiness you get with Brasso. Am now on a mission to do all the handles of both pieces of furniture. Twelve in all so may be gone some time - ha!

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2023, 11:24 »
Here's the little table! The inset brasswork does actually come up well, and is one of the items to do when all the other brass stuff is dealt with! Mrs Growster didn't like the way the legs were so skimpy at the bottom, so I just added some oak behind them, and made them simple and straight, having tried all sorts of fancy shapes and sizes! The original legs were actually two halves of the same piece of wood, and just cut to match! It really does need a bit of a clean up all round too...

It's about 100 years old, and I can remember sitting on the cross pieces as a kid, with my head sticking out the top...

(I don't try to do that now..;0)
DSCN9421.JPG

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2023, 11:49 »
Lovely table, Mr G.  Your alteration in now just part of its history  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2023, 09:24 »
How lovely is that especially your addition to its history. Never thought of things that way before.  :)

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2023, 17:43 »
Thank you!

My Grandfather seemed to have a lot of that beech, I also used to have a huge drawing of some houses he built in Welwyn Garden City, back in the early nineteen twenties! He made a frame for it from the same stuff!

By coincidence, one of them sold recently, and what is amazing, is that the owners at the time were one of the first families to buy this one, and it seems to be almost unchanged from the design back then, with lots of the original detailing still intact!

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/5737197/#/photos/1

xx
Antique furniture polish recommendations.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post March 30, 2023, 16:21
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 48 queries.