NHS aftercare packages.

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

NHS aftercare packages.
« on: September 29, 2023, 09:07 »
Sorry, but I so need a good rant about this. My husband went into hospital nearly 3 weeks ago for an infected catheter replacement. He also has multi-system atrophy with associated low blood pressure so then had to stay there whilst they sorted his meds out plus he then got Covid. Trouble is, now he's finally ready to come home but can't get his crisis care package (never mind that the lift broke down the other day so they couldn't have got him out anyway, and his current care package has been terminated). His ward care co-ordinator has not been very communicative despite promising to make it her mission to get it sorted and would ring me yesterday which by 4pm she hadn't, so I rang up, finally got through to the ward only to be told she'd gone home. This is a supreme example of patients ready to go home who are taking up beds that other more needy ones should have. I don't drive but would willingly get a taxi to see him except that, knowing the hospital, we'd probably pass each other on the way and I absolutely want to be here with open arms when he comes home. If only teleportation was possible, though I have a bit of a cold so it would be "Beam me up Snotty!"  :lol: Every day is Groundhog Day and only my three loving cats are keeping me sane, plus this Forum. My rant won't be over until the fat lady sings "He's coming home."
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: NHS aftercare packages.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 11:55 »
I think we all have great sympathy with you GG, that should not happen.  I also have sympathy with the care co-ordination, who could probably work 24 hours a day and not get through her workload.

There are so many things wrong with society, official systems, governments etc, etc, etc.  I think we are all in despair.  Keep your pecker up and keep busy, GG - you’ll soon have him home again.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 13:55 »
Just to say the care co-ordinator's now got Covid so will be off for a while. Maybe the stand-in one will do a better job but I'm not holding my hopes up.  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( :mad: :mad: :mad:

wighty

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 17:08 »
As a  retired manager of a care agency I would just say that we would get about 40 requests a day from the Hospital for people who were ready for discharge but needed home packages.  Some even for areas not covered by our Agency.   We would sift through them and then our Care Co-ordinator would look deeper into what was required.  Arranging  for any necessary aids to assist with lifting, such as hoists, stand-aids, toilet raised seats, commodes etc.,etc., was a nightmare.  This is another area that needs looking into.  They don't have the equipment to send them home with to enable them to do so.  Only then would we start to look to see if we had staff trained or suited to their needs.  This whole problem needs a real good sort out.  (Especially a look at the wages part, the Agency got from the Government-NHS figure a, and we had to pay our staff figure b, the Agency only made £2 out of each one they took on.   Just a different take on the problem I hope, and please remember, we only have o ne Hospital here on the Island, goodness knows what it's like for an Agency Manager who has a couple in her or his area.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 08:47 »
He's got all the necessary mobility aids in place so it's just the crisis care team necessary to help him once he gets home. I so agree with you Wighty - the system is broken, the carers get a poor wage and are under stress to get from one place to another in 2 secs.

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.