There's jobs to be done!

• 20 Replies

Goosegirl

There's jobs to be done!
« on: September 21, 2023, 10:47 »
While my husband has been in hospital this last fortnight I got the cleaning bug so have shampooed, polished, hoovered behind chairs, washed some clothes including various cushion covers, plus done the cat's litter tray etc, but am now running out of steam. Today I want to clean the bathroom tiles that go from the floor up to the ceiling on all four walls. Got everything out including my step stool but am now resting my brain. I keep saying to myself, if you'd started this 20 minutes ago it would have been done by now so, after this break, I'm going to get it done. Next jobs are to finish polishing my bedroom furniture and dust my beloved Lladro ornaments, wipe over the kitchen cupboard doors and tiles, polish the wooden staircase, dead-head various flowers outside, tear up the various accumulating cardboard boxes in the garage for re-cycling and try to un-block the slowly-draining bath plug hole. What do you do to get on with things like this?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: There's jobs to be done!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 13:39 »
Head down and forward against the wind, pinch between cheek and gum (figuratively, not literally), and crack on.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 15:30 »
Yes, the only way -  eat, sleep and crack on  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 17:44 »
As a superb procrastinator...I lay flat until the urge leaves me! :mellow:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 18:50 »
If the urge particularly takes me, I do it.

Otherwise, there's only me to see the dust anyway  ::) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 18:58 »
Paaah - peanuts...

This morning I had to get up at 5.45, walk the dog, make breakfast for Mrs Growster, go to Tesco, then Waitrose, then deliver some chilli jam to my fave hairdresser lady, then go to a farm shop in Cranbrook and buy some delicacies that only they sell, then back to deliver some more chilli jam to yet another favourite chum in my GC, then forget to deliver a book to another chum, who has bad eyesight, and listens to talking books, but can see the 'plot' in print with a magnifying glass, so has the book by her side all the time, so that's for tomorrow...

I came back, made lunch for both of us, washed up, cleaned the kitchen, walked the dog, cleared the airing cupboard, fed the dog again and am now doing the washing after collecting a box of tomatoes to ripen indoors!

I'm now off to make supper and watch Lovejoy with a tincture and Mrs Growster...;0)

But you're many years younger, Goosey, so you'll cope much better than this knarled old frame...;0)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 22:32 »
 You made me exhausted just reading what you’ve been up to today, Mr G  :ohmy:

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 08:48 »
Growster - you are such a rascal and I applaud your mighty endeavours!  8) I did clean the upper bathroom tiles with a mop so just have the lower ones to do by hand. Had to remove everything off my old wooden linen chest yesterday so my brother-in-law could retrieve something of my OH's so that's a polishing and then replacing things job for today as well. The brasses can wait until December.  ;)
BTW, I didn't itemise my jobs - ya boo sucks!  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:08 by Goosegirl »

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 17:41 »
One chore I hate is ironing...

When the washing is dried, I always just hang it up and hope the creases will drop out - which they never do, but I live in hope!

Lily the dog continually moults and her fine fur clogs up the small vacuum within a few seconds, so I have to use the big one, which makes a racket, but it's so satisfying seeing this huge fur-ball rolling around the kit each time! I'm wondering if I could make a jersey or something out of the stuff - there's so much every time!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 08:34 »
I'm with you there Growster. The other day I bit the bullet and did mine. Trouble is I seem to end up with more creases than I started with!

wighty

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2023, 16:57 »
I'll trade you, if you can find a good film on the telly I'll stand there and iron throughout it!  In return you could come down and give my house a good 'bottoming' which is a northern saying or so I understand from the last two library books I've read which were based in Lancashire or Yorkshire which I know are both 'up there somewhere'.  I do have a vague idea where but can't find the road map book that we take on holiday.  Must have packed it up with the rest of the camping stuff by mistake.  :nowink:

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2023, 20:39 »
 Yes I bottom the house sometimes (I’m from Yorkshire didn’t ya know :lol: ) we also ‘fettle’ things …sort things or people !  :lol: But I think it’s actually a mettle work term from the  iron foundries etc
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2023, 05:38 »
Yes I bottom the house sometimes (I’m from Yorkshire didn’t ya know :lol: ) we also ‘fettle’ things …sort things or people !  :lol: But I think it’s actually a mettle work term from the  iron foundries etc

DD let us have the word, 'Furtle', but that meant something entirely different!

Isn't being in 'fine fettle', a state of well-being, happiness and good health?

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023, 08:26 »
The word "fettle" comes from the old English noun meaning the condition or state of anything or to gird up from the old English "fetel" meaning a belt. The verb means to cover or line a hearth of, say, a furnace with loose material such as sand or gravel or to remove the excess material from a cast component. That's today's lesson over!  8)

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2023, 16:29 »
Thank you GG, I did think it had something to do with sand somewhere but wasn’t sure at which point, but I think sand is used for the casting of mould  in iron foundries but could be wrong…frequently am  :lol: . But of course words get repurposed to mean other things in local  areas.
An example of how it is & was used in our family in South Yorkshire:-
When my dad was in hospital & had received a dramatic prognosis, he told my sister “ ahh Linda (me) will be here soon & she’ll soon fettle ‘em” as the nurses hadn’t been that supportive  :unsure:

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 51 queries.