Boxing Day Bargains

• 18 Replies

mrs bouquet

Boxing Day Bargains
« on: December 27, 2019, 22:59 »
The best I have heard about was from somebody I saw Boxing afternoon, who said he had been to the Supermarket, and bought up a load of bags of veg for 6p a bag.   Now that's what I call a bargain !
Did you get any real bargains, and if so what were they.  ?  regards  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Boxing Day Bargains
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 08:57 »
I've not been out sale shopping, but I have been tempted by some on-line offers from the gardening suppliers  ::)  So far, just a few seeds, but I have a feeling there will be more  :blush:

As for reduced food, it seems that is all I have done at work recently.  I caused a mild riot when marking down turkey crowns the other day.  There is a lot of reduced fruit and veg there for people to find today though.  I hope they fill their boots and buy it all up.  I hate chucking food away  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 09:04 »
I'm just off to the Co op for my paper and to see what's what - but the early birds may have snaffled the lot  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 09:11 »
Happy hunting  :)  Fingers crossed you find a few bits  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 12:14 »
I brought home bananas, red onions, mushrooms (will go in a pie with left-over ham) a curry sauce (for the rest of the pork! ) and some 'high-end' seedy bread :)
There were also carrots, brussels and parsnips, plus a trolley filled with pigs in blankets, for those who aren't sick of the sight of them by now ::)  :D

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 14:14 »
I was musing about getting along to Waitrose for their late-evening sell-off, but went to sleep in front of the fire...

:0(

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 15:54 »
The local supermarket was giving away all 20p veg free the other day. There was 6 foot high stack of trays full of veg there and 5 of us grabbing all we could (hmmm parsnips) in the shop I was there just before closing when everyone was being kicked out so I feel such an idiot for not being brave enough to ask could I get two big trolleys and taking all the yellow not fit to eat broccoli-stuff no one wanted or could use for the compost heap.
I phoned the next day and asked could I have it but they said it was in the records as gone to waste and was going to be driven away. Costing petrol, increasing fuel, I have no idea if it's composted or tipped. Saddening but I'll know to be braver for next time.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 11:25 »
I don't do these bargains because we have all we need food-wise and other stuff is only a bargain if it's something you really want that hasn't already been advertised at a lower price. Good for you though and many plaudits for braving the crowds.  ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 12:07 »
I don't do these bargains because we have all we need food-wise and other stuff is only a bargain if it's something you really want that hasn't already been advertised at a lower price. Good for you though and many plaudits for braving the crowds.  ;)

We'd run out of crackers, the kids were hyper and there was hardly anyone in there. Glad to get out, however briefly.
Although some woman did scream "For F's sake" at me for no reason. I was just getting grease proof paper and she asked me the time, I told her, then turned back to what I was doing and she screamed at me before clattering off.  ???

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 17:17 »
Weavers, she'd probably been queuing all night for the bargain piece of grease-proof paper, and the 'Have you got the time' ploy just hadn't worked!

If she'd asked me 'Have you got a light', that would have been different, because so soon after Christmas, I haven't got a 'light' anything...

(Incidentally, is bitter beer up there still called 'Heavy' these days)?

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 23:56 »
Weavers, she'd probably been queuing all night for the bargain piece of grease-proof paper, and the 'Have you got the time' ploy just hadn't worked!

If she'd asked me 'Have you got a light', that would have been different, because so soon after Christmas, I haven't got a 'light' anything...

(Incidentally, is bitter beer up there still called 'Heavy' these days)?

It wasn't reduced, I'd just used it all and the aisle was about 2m across so I wasn't in anyone's way. I suspect she was on something as she was staring holes in me when she spoke to me. Husband believes she was looking at 5 of me and was trying to figure out which one was actually me and the way she was dressed was dubious to put it mildly.
Husband says yes.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 09:21 »
No food bargains, but I did pursuade OH to come the garden centre yesterday to help me with bags of manure for the raised beds at home.

It was a Wyevale, recently sold off to another group and they still had Wyevale branded bags to shift that they let me have half price  :D  How sad it is that cheap bags of manure make your day  :lol:  Don't care, I was well chuffed with my bargain  :D

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 06:10 »
Oddly enough, while not a real BD bargain, Mrs Growster and I were musing after lunch that day, about how we'd fit the new fruit bushes into the smaller 'Patch' at home.

So, does a brainwave count here? A new electric bulb just above our heads?

It was as plain as it could be, just to alter the layout of the new bushes, square them all up, make it a doddle for the new net-cage, and Bob's your Auntie! I can also grow the sweet peas on two wigwams on the sharp end so we can pick them much easier too! (The 'Patch' is shaped like a trowel, with a pointed end).

Sooooo, if I give Mrs Growster half an idea, and she gives me half an idea, surely that must count as a real bargain, and which cost us absolutely nothing!

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 11:39 »

We'd run out of crackers, the kids were hyper and there was hardly anyone in there. Glad to get out, however briefly.
Although some woman did scream "For F's sake" at me for no reason. I was just getting grease proof paper and she asked me the time, I told her, then turned back to what I was doing and she screamed at me before clattering off.  ???
[/quote]
You didn't run out of crackers you just ran into one who was obviously cream-crackered to say the least!  :ohmy: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 13:57 »
Not Boxing Day but Monday I think(not got a clue about what day it is this year(we’ll last now)) lol. Aldi had 1/2 price chicken legs at £1.75 but when I checked the receipt they were 88p wish I’d bought more than 2 packs now, mind you I use the term chicken legs loosely,I think they might be sparrows legs lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
There's some bargains out there!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 14:21
by Goosegirl
xx
Bargains galore today

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 03, 2018, 21:48
by Yorkie
moved
MOVED: poundstretcher bargains

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2022, 19:39
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 48 queries.