Aquiring grain seeds

• 5 Replies

Hobovore

Aquiring grain seeds
« on: December 27, 2019, 22:47 »
I would like to dedicate a small patch to growing my own grain just for the fun of it.

I have noticed that it appears to be difficult to find a place to buy some seeds for growing. I am open to all grains but I would like oats or millet seeds as a choice of preference.

Has anybody found a place where these can be bought?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Aquiring grain seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 08:36 »
You might need to think outside the box on that one  :)

I don't know a seed supplier, but health food suppliers might have stuff you could use.  I've bought from this lot and they do whole oats.  Couldn't find whole millet on their site though.  The stuff comes very simply packed and you can buy the weight you want from a few hundred grams to kilos.

https://www.realfoods.co.uk/shop/food-cupboard/flours,-grains,-pulses-and-cereals

You can grow wheat from the mixed corn fed to chickens.  I re-cycle the bark chip run floor from mine as mulch on the plot and often get wheat growing.  Most I pull as small wheat grass plants for them to eat, but I leave a few and they go mad for the seeds.

Millet - pet shop?  You can buy strings of millet for pet birds and it is very cheap.  I don't know if it will grow, but you won't lose much by trying  :)

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 08:23 »
Kings seed  have wheat and barley  seed
bazial

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 18:28 »
my father in law used to grow straw on part of his plot and use it  on his  potato clamp because its an advantage to get long straw for clamping potatoes  the only thing is when it starts growing so do the weeds so he used to spray his  wheat crop with a selective weed killer that controlled the weeds till he cut the straw

the  benefits of growing wheat is in two ways firstly if you clamping then straw is essential but then you can dig the rest of the straw that's left back  into the ground but if you don't need the straw for clamping then you could cut it and compost it or dig that in the ground

anyway I think growing a wheat crop on part of the plot is a good idea don't know about millet never grew that

where to buy could try  stores or garden centres that sell bird seed or some pet shops sell grain why not try the net ;)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:14 »
Real seed company sells Quinoa and amaranth.

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/grains.html

Three quotes below are directly from their website.

'Mixed Grain Amaranths'
These make up to 200,000 seed per plant, are very easy to thresh. The seeds don't need grinding - they are so tiny that you just add them to whatever you are cooking.

This is our own special mixed population bred from our trials - we have been working on this for about 20 years now. It produces early, and gives a good yield of seed that is easily threshed.

Very filling and nutritious, we add it to rice when cooking, it adds both flavour and protein. Simple harvesting instructions supplied.

Start from late April in pots as though tomatoes, & plant out when bigger - they are very robust once six inches tall and romp away even in cool weather.

60cm tall mix. Spectacular red - pink - yellow flowers. High-yielding and early.

Quinoa is a high-protein grain you can easily grow at home. It is cooked just like rice, and as well as tasting good, it is rich in lysine, giving a good nutritional balance to your meal.

The grain is naturally protected from insects, rodents and birds by a yellow coating that tastes bitter. This is easily removed – by soaking the seed overnight and rinsing a few times in cold water before cooking.

It's no more hassle than soaking dried beans before you use them, and means that you lose less of the crop to the beasties in your garden.
'Temuco' Quinoa

From South America, & has very open seed-heads that help shed the rain. A good choice for the wetter or windier parts of the UK, we find that this is always a heavy producer.

Quinoa seeds are yellow when harvested (see picture) and are soaked in water to remove the coating of saponins before cooking (otherwise they taste 'soapy'). This is why bought seed is white - it's been pre-washed for you. The advantage of this 'soapiness' is that it puts off the birds from eating the seed, so less need for netting or small boys throwing stones!

Both drought and wet tolerant. Instructions for seed collection included but it's pretty simple!

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 21:59 »
Mr Fothergills have RSPB Millet Seeds.

xx
Grain

Started by ted_woodley on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 13, 2006, 13:23
by muntjac
xx
spent grain

Started by yaxley on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 21:50
by yaxley
xx
When to harvest grain amaranth?

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2020, 18:50
by Deborah1
xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 29 queries.