Potato blackleg

• 4 Replies

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Potato blackleg
« on: June 18, 2019, 09:46 »
I just pulled up half a dozen of my maincrop spuds (Kerrs pink).  Blackening mushy stems and yellow leaves at the bottom have led me to believe it's blackleg.  There were other plants in the bed with yellowing lower leaves but no sign of stem blackening (yet). 

Should I just pull up all the Kerrs now as there doesn't seem to be an issue on nearby Sharpes Express, Swift and Pink Fir and I'd hate for it to spread to the rest of them?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato blackleg
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:26 »
I had blackleg on about a quarter of last years' Lady Christl plants - I removed and destroyed the affected ones and the others went on to grow normally.

The RHS advice is to remove affected plants without delay, which hopefully confirms that you shouldn't need to take more drastic action than that:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=223
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

kgaskell

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:41 »
Have had it on 4 of my Maris Bard potato plants, just pulled them out and the rest are fine, i had the same problem with Maris Bard last year, but did not affect my Rockets or Piccassos. I buy the tubers from the same supplier, will leave off the Maris Bard next year. Don,t panic growing veg is a big learning curve lol

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:08 »
Last year it affected my Vivaldi and spread to a few Setanta. I pulled them out and destroyed them. My yield was a bit down but not bad. I have not bought Vivaldi again this year.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 05:58 »
Thanks all.  I will keep an eye on them for now and the bad plants went straight in the bin.

question
Potato blackleg? Dig them all up??

Started by BarefootDancer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 13:44
by mumofstig
xx
Potato blackleg

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 00:11
by mumofstig
question
Potato Blackleg

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 21:41
by devonbarmygardener
xx
potato blackleg

Started by brookegard on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 12:42
by brookegard

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 41 queries.