When to net brassicas?

• 9 Replies

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
When to net brassicas?
« on: June 04, 2019, 22:35 »
I’ve got debris netting, and - after searching on here - I can see that plenty of others use it too, for me it’s against Cabbage Whites rather than pigeons. But my question is, do I put it over my newly planted seedlings right away, or wait until later on in the year? Does it stop too much light getting to the plants?

Thanks for any advice.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
Re: When to net brassicas?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 22:45 »
Hi. I recommend putting it on straight away! The cabbage whites seem to smell brassicas immediately and although you can wipe off eggs, it’s time consuming and caterpillars seem to survive whatever. Pigeons are also a problem for me. I use debris netting and no problem with light exclusion

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 23:16 »
Before you plant them out ! Seriously & keep on eye where you harden them out that none of the little blighters get too them there or you’ll look under the netting & see you’ve raised a lovely crop of caterpillars.  Ask me how I know.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:31 »
Before you plant them out ! Seriously & keep on eye where you harden them out that none of the little blighters get to them there or you’ll look under the netting & see you’ve raised a lovely crop of caterpillars.  Ask me how I know.
Been there - done that!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 10:56 »
I am a straight away person, having said that next year will be a brassica tunnell.

Now when it comes to cabbage whites and their offspring I am going to try a citrus spray to see if this will help to keep them at bay.

two recipes....
Spearmint,spring onion, garlic,horseradish, hot chillies and peppercorns mixed in a blender with water and then added to a litre of water + 2 teaspoons of washing up liquid soaked overnight, seive the next day and spray on your brassicas.

recipe 2
grind up both rnds and seeds of citrus fruit and soa overnight in 2 cups of water, add 2 teaspons washing up liquid, strain and spray

We will see if it works
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:57 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

MarkC

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 15:39 »
As straightaway as possible. I have seen the cabbage whites homing in on them even whilst a neighbour of mine was getting the rubble netting on! 5 minutes after going into the ground.....pigeons aren't far behind either.....

Sounds like an appetising mix that Aidy!

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 22:13 »
Will do tomorrow- but that may even be too late, from some of the replies ;) Thanks all.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 22:13 »

Sounds like an appetising mix that Aidy!
Reckon it will work far better than my keyboard!  :lol: :lol:

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 12:43 »
Defiantly straight away, I have to agree with everyone else. I use scaffold netting which on the whole works well but I still get the odd nasty in there.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 20:53 »
I read a couple of days ago that apparently the butterflies recognise the shadows cast by brassicas and aim for them. Hmmm, so how do they find them in shady weather, I ask myself??

Enough light gets through debris netting to allow the plants to grow perfectly well, and it keeps off all expect the smallest of pests, such as whitefly and diamond-back moths, but does allow in aphids including those horrid fat cabbage aphids

I only say this as a warning not to be complacent, and keep an eye on brassicas to ensure that other pests do not infest them, even if butterflies and pigeons are denied access  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Brassicas

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 19:10
by RaptorUK
xx
Better net yer brassicas!

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post January 02, 2008, 21:53
by gobs
sad
Brassicas

Started by cmf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 20:21
by Grasshopper
xx
Brassicas

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 18:48
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 43 queries.