Monty that's old hat

• 27 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Monty that's old hat
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 18:54 »
I've always had a problem with Monty Don after he did a documentary about helping heroin addicts here in Worcester. It made out how great a success his scheme was but completely overlooked that one of the people involved was subsequently jailed for drug offences and another overdosed, despite the program declaring he was 'clean'.
Nothing to do with his gardening advice of course, but it has somewhat soured my opinion of him.

rowlandwells

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 19:50 »
 I like your style growster you certainly say it as it is  :D

and your probably rite about Barnsdale snowdrops but you have to admit its kept the legacy of Geoff Hamilton alive for all these years since we lost a great gardener but you've got to admit we did get ten minuets of Monty actually sowing something and yep can't wait for Beechgrove to start then we will see some real gardeners actually doing some gardening pity its only on for 30 minuets

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 20:17 »
Oh, I must be the only one on hear that like Monty. Garden programs possibly get a new audience every year so I understand why they seem to repeat showing the same type of advice. And yes I’m sure he does have a gardener or two but with that size garden & his busy career it’s a given.
I really liked Geoff Hamilton & agree he was very down to earth but if you’ve been to his garden Barnsdale you would see he did spend a lot of money on it & he must have had help to keep it as immaculate as it was.
Beechgrove I agree is a great programme & very informative.
   you aren't the only one who likes Monty. I record the programme on a Sunday and watch it with a cup of tea loving the whole thing. It's like reading a favourite magazine. Beautiful to look at stunning scenery and just enough different sections to keep it fresh. I like how he is a wildlife crusader and gives advise on looking after wildlife regarding slug pellets and poisons and netting. I have to admit I can't abide beechgrove and find its aimed at the older gardener who mostly knows all that stuff anyway. Long live Monty and his pc ways.  ;)

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 21:02 »

My granddad says he remembers BP, that is before plastic, every thing plant wise was very expensive, if you could get it.

Wooden trays and heavy clay pots,  no selection what soever alyssum and bedding lobelia whether you liked them or not, that was your lot!

When they started using plastic trays and pot that was the start of the revolution and plants were affordable and available and garden centres as we know them were born!

This is not an attack on Monty, but when some one on national (our) TV keeps coming up with hair brained schemes, because I say so, don't use this, don't use that, don't do this don't do that, if he wants to go and live in a sod hut with grass roof in the middle of a field that is up to him, but don't expect the rest of us to follow suit!

STOP, and smell the roses!

rowlandwells

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 08:44 »
that's given me something to think about JimB  a holiday village built some sod huts with a grass roof in a open field miles away from any where but your absolutely rite what your saying if they what show peoples gardens on the TV then why not devote a complet program to this and leave G/W to an actually growing and sowing program for home gardeners yes a hole 30 minuets to proper gardening ?

thank god for sites like this because this site really gives us gardeners proper professional advice from professional home gardeners for those like myself who want to know and grow fresh veg together with flowers and  other gardening matters 24/7

mrs bouquet

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 09:43 »
I didn't even watch Monty this last week - to be honest I have got a bit bored with him  (the dogs are alright  :D).    I used to enjoy Geoff and Bob Flowerdew, and Christine is a down-to-earth lady.
I have got masses of books, all my old College work, and a set of beautiful garden encyclopedia, dated around 1900's.   AND, of course, I have got all you ladies and gents with all your store of knowledge.

Seed trays and pots, I use what I have got, because I have got them anyway !  Other than that, loo, and towel rolls, and small fibre pots bought on-line.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 11:49 »
I've always had a problem with Monty Don after he did a documentary about helping heroin addicts here in Worcester. It made out how great a success his scheme was but completely overlooked that one of the people involved was subsequently jailed for drug offences and another overdosed, despite the program declaring he was 'clean'.
Nothing to do with his gardening advice of course, but it has somewhat soured my opinion of him.

Hmm drug addicts can be very secretive of course & some not all can lie through their teeth! Hardly a reflection on Monty I would have thought even if he was aware which I think he wouldn’t have been, probably more to do with the production team unfortunately.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

al78

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 12:18 »
Hmm drug addicts can be very secretive of course & some not all can lie through their teeth! Hardly a reflection on Monty I would have thought even if he was aware which I think he wouldn’t have been, probably more to do with the production team unfortunately.

Exactly, whether Monty was or was not successful in helping drug addicts has nothing to do with whether his gardening advice is sound. It is an unfortunate (poor) human trait that if someone is or says something that is 99.9% sound and 0.1% flawed, they will leap on the 0.1% to demonize them whilst completely ignoring the solid 99.9%, usually if that person is saying something that contradicts their precious world view.

Modified to clarify quotes
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:34 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 12:37 »
We can certainly disagree with each other, but please make thread comments friendly....

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 13:38 »

All completely fair points of course, but he did put his name to the project and took the credit for it.
It's quite a personal case here and I wouldn't expect others to see it as I do as I'm a family friend of some of those involved.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 15:51 »
All completely fair points of course, but he did put his name to the project and took the credit for it.
It's quite a personal case here and I wouldn't expect others to see it as I do as I'm a family friend of some of those involved.

Well that is fair enough Plot 1.  Owning and taking credit for some-thing opens you up to both praise and criticism and people are entitled to their own thoughts on which you deserve.  Being right most of the time is not insurance against never being wrong.

As you said in your original post, it is nothing to do with his gardening advice, but it would colour your  opinion of some-one, if you knew all what not as it seemed.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 18:42 »
There's an awful lot of advice out there - often contradictory. Rather than being a sponge, soaking everything up, select what seems useful to your own situation and give it a try - regardless of the source.
I do think celebs like Monty have a problem when they try to do some social good in that people will assume they've an ulterior motive.
As for Monty & the junkies - I found out myself the hard way years ago that addicts (including alcoholics) will say or do anything to get more drugs or money to get more drugs.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Growster...

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 07:44 »
Or even worse John, buying more seeds...

We've got about 3,009,987,846,847 runner bean seeds in a huge bag, and still fight about whether we have enough, or maybe try a new variety!

xx
Monty's parsnips

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2018, 16:29
by mikem
xx
Growing tom's Monty's new way

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 21:38
by seaside
xx
Monty said you can eat rhubarb now

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 06:59
by Growster...
xx
Monty,you were ripped off.

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 22:38
by mumsy

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 50 queries.