So...when is a toy, not a toy...?

• 6 Replies

Growster...

So...when is a toy, not a toy...?
« on: September 15, 2018, 21:04 »
Mrs Growster and I have just been chatting about what 'tools' we have and what she has for the work she always does in The Turrets, and a conundrum looms into the discussion - er - so is a new garden shredder a toy, or a necessity?

The shredder was (to me) a necessity, as otherwise, we'd have to get someone to take the stuff away (after cutting it all down, and I have a huge job to do over the next few months), so we're in profit there - I think...

But Mrs Growster doesn't even want a kitchen machine which cuts, chops, peels etc, she likes to do these jobs herself.

So; is a toy a lawnmower? NO!
A strimmer - Maybe...
A wheelbarrow - definitely not!
An electric wood planer - possibly yes, as I have a hand plane, but it's hard work...
A Mantis? Good question. It was for 'The Patch', but we're giving that up in October, but, the lovely machine has an attachment to scour the old brick paths we have, and works magically at that, so, it's saving old bones' work...

And I reckon there are many good chums here who will add to the list of toys and their uses, and what may be - ahem - a pure luxury...

And why not?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: So...when is a toy, not a toy...?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 21:37 »
I think the essence of a toy is something that makes you have a big grin on your face when you use it.

Anything else is just a labour saving device.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 17:17 »
Putting it another way, when is a necessity not a necessity? If you enjoy doing something that involves hard work, when you look at the results you can get a lot of pleasure from doing it yourself. At the same time, if you feel absolutely kn***ered afterwards, it's not worth it. If you get something that saves you a lot of work and the results are comparable, why not! Perversely, if you enjoy doing it then it's not a necessity. Personally I don't think I have any toys unless you count my paper trimmer and shredder. Am I missing something here?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 18:08 »
I used to take the washing down to the stream and bang it on rocks -  now I have a washing machine.
Also over the course of a week the dishwasher gets filled up !.    The former a necessity, the latter, well maybe a toy now, but a necessity when there was more than me - oh but those squeaky clean dishes - no on second thoughts a necessity. :lol: :lol:  Meanwhile a toy-boy to come and get some of these jobs done is becoming a necessity too. ::)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

al78

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 22:54 »
It is a toy if you got it purely for entertainment/pleasure, rather than utility. Necessity is a word that is often overused, most things people claim are necessary are really not, they might make a job easier and quicker, but you wouldn't die without them*. A strimmer for me is both a toy and a useful machine. I used it this weekend to clear half of a friend's allotment of soft grassy weeds, which she was very grateful for. I could have done it manually with a pair of shears, but it would have taken longer and required a lot more physical effort.

*All that is really necessary are food, water, warmth and shelter, which is why poor people in developing countries can survive without any of the mod-cons us priviliged wealthy Westerners enjoy.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 10:48 »
So true !  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 18:25 »
One of my favourite 'toys' is an electric screwdriver.

I've owned several, but the latest just does the job - backwards and forwards, and it is a great help on all the jobs where screwdrivers - or small nuts and bolts, are concerned!

As we speak, I have sketched an addition piece which after an hour or so in the shed, will let me undo the holding bolt on the shredder without suffering multiple wrist injuries, and hopefully this will help all the work we have to do to make our front garden much better - eventually...

So it's a necessity coupled with a toy I suppose!

But then, Growsters always like to make toys work another way - silly really..;0)

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 43 queries.