manure for onion beds

• 19 Replies

snowdrops

Re: manure for onion beds
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 21:04 »
Our contracts don't allow paving slabs, really can't understand why - but they don't.

That is a shame but I can sort of understand why, a) if they’re laid on concrete it causes a problem for the next tenant
B) if they’re just plonked down they can be very dangerous, a chap on our site has slabs that you have to climb up, he was most affronted when he got a letter telling him to sort them out. Mine are level but each year they need tweaking to keep them level. I think it helped that the membrane was laid on reasonably level hard earth then walked on for a few years before the slabs were added.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 01:15 »
Wheeled another barrow full up today and then covered bed 2 with plastic I then tucked in all edges on the three beds so that them nicely tucked away until later march . I've never done this before so it will be an experiment for me and one i will report my findings on this as we go on.

I hope weather permitting to prepare beds 4 and 5 sometime this week
I'm still undecided on what to use for the paths yet, bark or paving slabs and i need to make my mind up quickly and get them done
I'm all in favour of manuring the beds but not so sure about plastic sheeting. I think plastic looks awful and have seen it ripped to shreds by wind and spread all over the allotment site.
I'm not sure if it will be a benefit by attracting worms up who will help mix the manure or a drawback by keeping rain off the bed making it too dry for our wriggly friends.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52 »
Thanks for the response John, yes I too have my reservations about plastic sheeting but hope it may speed up the decomposing element.

If it does become messy or torn I will be taking it off as I too like a tidy plot, if we have a dry spell between now and the spring I could take it off but in west Wales that's probably unlikely and I would hope that between the layer of manure and the sodden soil the worms would be glad not to have to rely on the Lifeboats   :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 09:05 »
If you cover it with the woven-type of weed control fabric rather than solid plastic sheeting - you will get moisture and air through to the soil, as well as some extra warmth in the Spring if you are on a cold plot.
The worms certainly have no problems under mine. It does need careful fixing/weighing down to stay in place though, I agree!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04 »
If you cover it with the woven-type of weed control fabric rather than solid plastic sheeting - you will get moisture and air through to the soil, as well as some extra warmth in the Spring if you are on a cold plot.
The worms certainly have no problems under mine. It does need careful fixing/weighing down to stay in place though, I agree!
That's a very good point
Plus it won't deteriorate and can be re-used

xx
Onion beds

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 11:32
by Dantheman
xx
Onion beds

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 22:03
by Judd
xx
Couch grass emerging in my onion and pot beds!

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 11:36
by Goosegirl
xx
Manure on Autumn Beds?

Started by Libby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 10:19
by Libby

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 36 queries.