Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information

• 233 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bird Avian Flu Outbreak Information
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2017, 16:08 »
My thought as well  ::)

The form on the link Flowerpower has given does say it is for everyone, not just large scale keepers.

Some people are ignoring the restrictions, but that has made me more sure keeping mine in is the right decision.  I can't make garden secure from wild birds, but I can protect my lot from interacting with them as much as possible.   They are roofed and their food can't be got at, neither can infected droppings rain in on them or their run.

They are being pretty good about it and seem content enough.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2017, 16:16 »
To add to confusion, before I saw the form and the latest on the Welsh Government website, I had taken the trouble to phone the Welsh APHA office this morning, and was told something completely different.
Lady on the helpline was adamant that the current order had been extended to end April and ALL birds had to stay in in Wales regardless of improved biosecurity.
 :mad:
Total joke.
I've just complained to my MP and set him the task of finding out who I should believe.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2017, 16:22 »
The form on the link Flowerpower has given does say it is for everyone, not just large scale keepers.

It is for all keepers, but just those of us in Wales. :wacko:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2017, 16:33 »

It is for all keepers, but just those of us in Wales. :wacko:

Yes and they say they have declared the whole of Wales to be a prevention zone, but then offer a part 2 of the form to allow birds out with caveats.  A prevention zone in England means you don't get the option at all  :wacko:

Clear as chicken poop, but until the reports of new outbreaks stop, I'm using my own judgement and playing safe  ;)

RubyR3d

« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2017, 21:41 »
A farmer friend of mine who has half a dozen geese and a few hens has his still roaming. He said he would make them secure and follow guidelines if it was the other way round and all the wild birds were at a threat by catching it off his birds.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2017, 13:03 »
BBC news reporting on free-range eggs issue given the current restrictions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39037406

DEFRA have added a video to this page specifically for backyard keepers.  Scroll about halfway down.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2016-to-2017

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2017, 13:23 »
I am hoping that the restrictions will be lifted in some areas at the end of the month
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #217 on: February 23, 2017, 22:56 »
I have just tried the DEFRA interactive map for Avian flu risk analysis. Type in a place name Birmingham, result not found, so I tried the county West Midlands ditto :mad: :mad:

A search on Midlands produced amongst other far away places Galloway????? :wacko:

Who on earth produces this rubbish.

However, it is looking hopeful if I get my birds some wellies and tie their beaks up :D :D :D :D

Here's hoping common sense prevails and we can free them on 28th. All the wild birds round here look ok, ducks on the canal, the Herons, pigeons, Gulls, Robin etc.
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

grinling

« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2017, 23:07 »
New outbreak Haltwhistle, Northumberland, small flock on a farm

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2017, 22:08 »
Im really hope this latest outbreak doent postpole the ban being lifted, my sisters going to be in a restriction zone after the 28th and she want s he to adopt her flock (20 ex batt) but I can only do that at the moment if i can let them out, my coverd runs not big enough.....
+ my girls want to get out in the sun!

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2017, 16:21 »
GB AVIAN INFLUENZA PREVENTION ZONES - UPDATE FROM APHA

27 February 2017

From tomorrow (28 February) new Avian Influenza Prevention Zones come into force in England, Scotland and Wales.

Poultry keepers must continue to follow enhanced biosecurity measures to minimise the risk of infection from wild birds.

More information about arrangements in England is available at: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu.

More information about arrangements in Scotland is available at: http://www.gov.scot/avianinfluenza.

More information about arrangements in Wales is available at: http://gov.wales/topics/environmentcountryside/ahw/disease/avianflu/?lang=en.

grinling

« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2017, 15:39 »
Pembrokeshire, a wild Widgeon

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2017, 00:42 »
It does seem to be easing off - thank goodness.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Paul Plots

« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2017, 01:18 »
According to the maps available I am in a High Risk Area..  :(

But my budgies are out each day in the flight for a few hours as the local temperatures are up and they need a cooler environment - being stuck in an increasingly warm bird house is resulting in an early moult.

Their outside flight is double meshed with a corrugated plastic roof so I'm hoping for the best.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Manxminx

« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2017, 10:40 »
Sad to see no comments about the latest update from DEFRA. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

I was hoping to let mine out at the end of the Month (I'm just inside one of those random high risk areas) but the new rules continue the Prevention Zone controls with no end date in sight.

I suffer from mental health issues and getting my two chickens was supposed to help with that, and it did. However it looks increasingly likely that the only sensible thing for me to do is get rid of them as rather than improve my mental health, imprisoning them like this has only stressed both them and me (just imagine two chickens crying for hours on end and pacing up and down getting increasingly agitated, especially when it's sunny - they just want to be out exploring the world). I've not been able to pick them up for months and they used to love knocking on the door with their beaks to be let in to say hello to me and have a treat. My garden is quite small, and half of it has been netted since the restrictions. Needless to say that half is now bereft of any grass and other vegetation so needs replanting. They are used to free ranging outside the garden, at this rate keeping them in the other half of the garden and that will need replanting by the end of the summer. It's totally impractical.

And anyway, the prevention zone controls are unworkable. The garden is the way into and out of the house. Does one really think the postman is going to use foot baths and a boot brush? Use a scarecrow to keep wild birds away? Are they mad? I live in the middle of the countryside, surrounded by fields and woods, there are thousands of birds here. When I have the door open in the warm weather they even fly in and out the house all the time, which is wonderful!

Also, it doesn't matter if the garden gate is closed, the chickens will still jump over it to go where they want if I let them out of the netted area. So what option do I have but continue to keep them imprisoned? I have to think of both my mental health and the quality of life of the chickens and as I say, at this rate the only logical thing to do would be top get rid of them.

Is this prevention Zone now a permanent thing or not? The DEFRA website gives no clues as to how long these stupid restrictions are to last. . .
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:57 by Manxminx »
I dream of a better world where Chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

xx
New Bird Flu Outbreak

Started by grinling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 14:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Bird Flu outbreak in SUFFOLK

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post December 02, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
bird flu outbreak in nth suffolk

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

68 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
Avian TB

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 20:50
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 52 queries.