Questions about Belle de Fontenay potatoes

• 11 Replies

Snoop

Questions about Belle de Fontenay potatoes
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:46 »
I've seen Belle de Fontenay advertised as first earlies, and was thinking of growing some. However, looking at them in a bit more depth, I've also seen them listed as early maincrop.

I know some people on here grow them, so I was wondering what you reckon. Which are they: first earlies or early maincrop? Or can you start picking them as first earlies and just leave them in the ground to do their thing?

We usually grow Dunluce, but I reckon we should like Belle de Fontenay as we like Charlottes, and all the blurb makes them sound quite like Charlottes. Would that be correct?

Any other advice or opinions very welcome.

Thanks.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
Re: Questions about Belle de Fontenay potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 21:20 »
Hello. I grow Belle de Fontenay every year as my preferred first early. I think the taste is excellent, and they crop well. However I find that they have virtually no resistance to blight and here, in often damp Brittany, have been attacked as early as the end of May/beginning of June. What's worse is that the blight goes straight down into the tubers and they rot quickly in the ground. I've tried cutting the haulm off,waiting and lifting them but even seemingly 'clean' tubers rot in store.

Perhaps where you are in Spain this wouldn't be such a problem? I think that they are such a great taste that I always cross my fingers and hope for the best. If you can beat the blight they are a good maincrop too. Hope this helps.

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:56 »
Thanks guys.

Deborah1, your reply was especially helpful. In theory, we don't get blight here, but last year was very strange weatherwise, and I'm pretty sure we had blight, certainly on the tomatoes. I think I'll give them a go but and see how they do. Dunluce are very good first earlies, so I'll try half and half and see how they do.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:30 »
I think in a taste test I'd go with Charlotte

Speaking of tasty spuds, I think I'd die if I never ate another homegrown Arran Pilot. I eat them as babies but let some grow really big for jackets. Sublime  :tongue2:   

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 13:12 »
Compostqueen, I've never grown Arran Pilot before. Would you swap Belle de Fontenay for Arran Pilot? It sounds like it!

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 07:57 »
Another vote for Charlotte. Really tasty and can harvest before blight.

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 08:52 »
I already grow Charlottes. There would be a riot if I didn't, as we like them so much. Well, I think the answer is to scrap the Belle de Fontenay and grow more Charlottes and just a kilo of Dunluce seed potatoes for our first earlies.

I have to say that the first year we grew Dunluce, they were so good that I thought that we'd be disappointed by the Charlottes. Not the case, of course, but Dunluce are pretty good first earlies if you like Charlotte.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 08:54 »
I'll second Deborah's preference for them as a 1st (or even 2nd) early. I found grown on as a main they broke up far too easily when either boiled or steamed. On the downside the yield seemed to be a bit low (although I've no weight comparisons to support this) but grown in my old garden, the taste more than made up for that.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 11:02 »
Thanks for that, Mr Dog. Did you find the yield much lower than other first earlies?

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 17:01 »
I like B d F spuds but Charlotte and Arran P probably would be my choice. Then again, I like a change, and grow others , but I always come back to Charlotte and Arran P. 

When folks say spuds break down in the water I worry they're either boiling them hard or cooking them bang fresh. They're best left a day or so. Steaming pots in the water they're washed in usually results in a satisfactory outcome.  Also folks will insist on boiling spuds that are billed as roasters, but that's another story  :tongue2:

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 13:10 »
....When folks say spuds break down in the water I worry they're either boiling them hard or cooking them bang fresh. ...

No need to worry - they went rock solid to mush in a blink of an eye  :D

Mr Dog

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 13:42 »
Thanks for that, Mr Dog. Did you find the yield much lower than other first earlies?

TBH I've not really grown much in the way of 1st earlies so couldn't say. The only time I've planted a decent number (Lady Christl) they were decimated by black leg.

I now grow Anya and Vivaldi in the ground and a few Blue Danube in pots. Whilst many swear by Charlotte I find them tasteless from my soil.

xx
Two questions about potatoes

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 22:19
by Quetzal
xx
Potatoes - a few daft questions?

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 17:02
by mumofstig
xx
Two (probably silly) questions about growing potatoes

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 20:53
by Noah'strolly
xx
Chitting potatoes and shallot questions ?

Started by Chris C on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2010, 07:47
by DD.

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 29 queries.