Comfrey - can it be moved?

• 16 Replies

cadalot

Re: Comfrey - can it be moved?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 20:44 »
OK you asked for it .....

I found a short length of clear plastic pipe from a broken water feature and fitted and glued it to the end cap to my drain comfrey pipe for the comfrey liquid to drip from.

I added a sink strainer (you get two on a card from the £1 or 99p shop) and mesh from a 99p shop strainer cut to the shape and size of the pipe. They are wired together so the metal sink strainer stays over the end of the pipe to filter out the solid comfrey from the liquid. Plus it helps filter the fines from blocking the sink strainer. As you can see there is now an air / liquid space over the end of the plastic drip pipe

I marked out the wall where the brackets will go to fix the pipe to the wall.

I filled a pop bottle with sand, made a hole on the lid and fitted some rope thru the cap and made lots it knots ready to use as a compressive weight, I then used a 100mm 2" pot saucer as and end cap - drilled a hole in the middle for the rope and tied a knot to keep the lid from coming off the rope 

2014-07-07 - Comfrey Pipe End Cap Outside.jpg
2014-07-07 - Comfrey Pipe End Cap Inside.jpg
2014-07-07 - Comfrey Pipe with End Cap.jpg
2014-07-07 - Comfrey Pipe Weight & Cap.jpg
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 20:47 by cadalot »

cadalot

Re: Comfrey - can it be moved?
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 20:45 »
The leaning tower of Comfrey, The clear plastic drip pipe on the drain end cap goes into the plastic milk bottle and helps prevent the milk bottle from blowing over when empty. I have the knack of getting the bottles in and out without having to remove the bricks under the milk bottle now.

At the start of this year, I removed the end plate and pushed out the core of spent comfrey using the weight, washed the end plate with the hose, then re fitted the endplate and reloaded the pipe. It's good to put a little water in the top to keep it moist and get the process started. I now tend to add some diluted comfrey tea in the top end after each top up.

If it dries up, add a little water in the top and let gravity do the rest.

Also take a look at Ma & Pa Lowes comment thread as he did his own version of my pipe but modified the end fittings Read down from here:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/diary-comments/38/comments-for-ma-and-pa-lowes-lottie/112378/msg1331893#msg1331893
2014-07-07 - Comfrey Pipe on Wall.jpg
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:15 by cadalot »

moved
MOVED: what are they please

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2022, 10:57
by New shoot
moved
MOVED: Asters

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2023, 16:48
by New shoot
moved
MOVED: Glut of PSB!!

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2022, 21:22
by Yorkie
xx
Rat moved into my Compost Bin

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 19:19
by juvenal

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 31 queries.