what went wrong?

• 6 Replies

hen addict

what went wrong?
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:48 »
I visited my allotment yesterday to do the customary watering of the green house and my 5 tomato plants have wilted and died. They have been doing fine for the last 2 weeks they seemed happy and healthy but just collapsed over night? I don't think we had any frosts in fact it's been quite warm here overnight lately. I'm off today for some new plants but a bit concerned about putting the newbies in there any ideas as to what went wrong?
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: what went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 11:12 »
I would still guess the temperature went too low overnight, especially if you had a warm day - followed by a cold night.

Check a local weather station for night temperatures - it went down to 2.6 C here last night!

My plants are still coming indoors at night.

hen addict

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 13:48 »
Thanks for that, it seems the most likely cause. I've been to look at some plants this morning but they all looked week and spindly!  When I find something decent they are going in my conservatory untill mid may!!!

MissW

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 21:38 »
I had a similar problem. This even I checked on my tomato plants in my mini green house and they were droopy. I suspect it was too hot today and I forgot to open it up. I'm really annoyed. I watered and am hoping for the best.

hen addict

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 08:17 »
I'm having problems with tomato plants full stop this year? Never had problems before, I've resorted to setting some from seed!! They are going to be late but what the heck, still better than none which was where I was heading.

I've got problems with the cucumbers as well!! They just don't want to come this year.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:13 »

I've got problems with the cucumbers as well!! They just don't want to come this year.

Try chitting some seed on damp tissue and put somewhere warm in the house - within 3-5 days, some will start to germinate, then carefully pick these out and just pot them on, put somewhere warm and sunny and they'll soon come up

hen addict

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23 »
 :)thanks for that will give it a go. cheers

xx
What went wrong with my cucumbers?

Started by BabyStar on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 23:38
by shoozie

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 37 queries.