New Born Chick - Urgent Help Please

• 4 Replies

richard2510

• A Year On The Plot
New Born Chick - Urgent Help Please
« on: April 23, 2014, 20:57 »
Hi,

I have 12 Light Sussex eggs in the incubator. They started hatching this morning and all was well until number 5 was moved into the brooder. I notice he has a lump at his back end.

As you can see from the picture, the lump appears to be from it's back end. What is it and what should I do for the best?

Richard
SDC12526.JPG

hen addict

Re: New Born Chick - Urgent Help Please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 21:12 »
I'm not going to be much help but was online. I've not seen this in a chick before but, as its just hatched it could be a fluid filled pocket of some sort. If the chick seems lively enough and is showing the signs of being otherwise normal I would be tempted to leave well alone for the first few days as it could very well shrink back as the chick uses up its reserves. If not and it shows signs of stress and discomfort it's kinder to cull.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

richard2510

• A Year On The Plot
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 21:23 »
I'm not going to be much help but was online. I've not seen this in a chick before but, as its just hatched it could be a fluid filled pocket of some sort. If the chick seems lively enough and is showing the signs of being otherwise normal I would be tempted to leave well alone for the first few days as it could very well shrink back as the chick uses up its reserves. If not and it shows signs of stress and discomfort it's kinder to cull.

Apart from the lump, he's in good condition. Moving about just like the others. However, I've had to separate him from the others as they immediately started pecking at his lump. Almost as though they could sense he was weaker than they were.

Richard

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 21:31 »
It looks like the yolk sac hasn't been absorbed properly, it is possible for it to go in, but the last chick I had with one died, so don't keep your hopes up too much. 

I'm not sure if it is possible to push it back in, or if that would kill the chick.  Fingers crossed for it.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:53 »
Hi Richard,

I think it could be one of two things, either the yolk hasn't entirely been absorbed yet, in which case it should dry up in a day or two if it isn't very large, or it is a congenital gastrointestinal issue/prolapse.

Is the lump around the vent or further towards the abdomen?

Just another quick point... you should really leave the chicks in the incubator until they are properly dried out and fluffed up.  They don't need food or water for the first 24 hours as they utilise the remaining yolk they have absorbed, so there is no need to rush them into a brooder :)

xx
Baby chick all alone - urgent help!!

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 12:22
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Urgent help with chick (for a friend)

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 21:48
by bantam novice
xx
Urgent chick advice needed

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 09:36
by Vember
question
New born Chicks

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2013, 17:30
by Prod

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 33 queries.