PT + Composting Kitchen Waste = Rats???

• 4 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
PT + Composting Kitchen Waste = Rats???
« on: November 26, 2013, 21:07 »
Hi,

Seen a few mentions of rats in the context of PTs.  I'm going to be composting in blue barrels with lids on (a few small holes for aeration but not big enough for rats).

Can't really bare the thought of the little bu##ers nibbling at my produce and then me and family eating it after them so any suggestions as to how to keep a rat free PT most welcome.

Adri

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Re: PT + Composting Kitchen Waste = Rats???
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:21 »

A rat would easily nibble into a blue barrel if it wanted to.

How far are your blue barrels from your Pt , what kitchen waste are you composting .

I use pallets for composting and haven't yet had a problem with rats ,(and we have three takeaways within

50  yards .

I can't think of a physical way to stop them as they would chew through most things , and I don't know of any safe chemical deterrants.

LilacSandy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 16:36 »
Rats are just part of nature and you will not stop them, neither will you stop mice, pigeons, slugs and snails.  Just protect what you can and wash your veg before cooking.  I bet you did not worry about supermarket food but there are rats in the fields as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 17:10 »
In 13 years I've only ever seen one rat on one occasion in my garden, and certainly never inside any of my 3 daleks. As long as you stick to just raw vegetable waste rather than cooked food (especially animal products) I don't see why you should have a problem with your blue bins, unless someone else in the immediate area is giving them a reason to call it "home."
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:31 »
I have found that composting is better if it's done on the soil IE not on concrete or anything that insulates it from the soil as this allow's the insects and bacteria to move up into the vegetation of the compost. plus if its in a closed container what is going to happen to excess liquid that will leave the vegetation during composting, (see wormery).

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 33 queries.