Bean Blanching Advice!

• 8 Replies

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
Bean Blanching Advice!
« on: August 30, 2013, 16:23 »
Good afternoon!  I have been to the plot today and picked another two tonnes of green beans.  I intended to have a little potter in the kitchen and do some (more) blanching.  I have discovered I don't have any ice cubes to put in the water I usually dunk my veggies in when I take them out of the boiling water.  Do you think it will be ok to carry on or should I wait until I have ice tomorrow ? :unsure: Cheers!x

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bean Blanching Advice!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 16:41 »
I don't use ice - I just get them as cold as I can using several changes of cold water from the tap.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 16:58 »
Thanks yet again Mum!  What would I do without you?  I'd be up to my armpits in beans for a start....Now I have a dilemma. In my panic to get the beans out of sight before OH comes home from work (and gives me 'the look' of a man unable to face another bean, ever) I had a hunt round and I have the ingredients (vinegar, sugar etc) to do a half batch of the runner bean chutney, but using green beans instead.  What to do?  Have a cup of tea I think.  Thanks again  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 19:01 »

I've just dried some in desperation, Heaven knows how I will use them, soups and stews I suppose

I blanched them for 2 mins by the way (to keep on topic!) and used cold running water from the tap to cool them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 19:03 by Annen »
Anne

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 19:20 »
Argghh! No fair!! You've got one of those dehydrator thingummies haven't you? >:(.  What will you do with them  now to use them? Throw them into soups as they are or do you need to do something else first?  How long will they keep?  What else can you dry?  I'm feeling an on line purchase coming on  :blink:  I mentioned the possibility of buying a chest or larder freezer to OH and he just stared at me and stalked off.  I'll take that as a 'no' then!  But I dehydrator - I could hide that away, he'd never find it ;)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 20:15 »
Maxibo, I put a pic up just to tease you  :tongue2: I saw your other post on snow white's thread.  :nowink:
That's why I got one because I have no space for another freezer.  I haven't rehydrated much yet so don't know whether it will be worth it, but mushrooms rehydrated well, and dried apple is wonderful. If you do a search there has been a thread about it not long ago.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107232.0 That was one but there were others, but may have been off-topic (a bit like this one!)

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 21:11 »
Oooh you are awful!  Really, thank you!  I can see what model you have too I think  ;)

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 16:55 »
I don't blanch, I find things are so tender when they leave the allotment, blanching then recooking when defrosting turns things to mush. Unblanched beans etc. work fine and taste brilliant.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 17:27 »
blanching then recooking when defrosting

That's the trouble - they don't need cooking as such, just heating through :) No mush here  ;)

xx
Blanching or not ?

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 20:09
by kevinp
xx
blanching

Started by hermon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 17:36
by John
xx
Blanching

Started by MyAchingBack on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 13:21
by aelf
xx
blanching

Started by 1monkey1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 21:11
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.