How moist is moist?

• 9 Replies

Kirpi

How moist is moist?
« on: May 10, 2013, 13:26 »
I have seen all ranges of advice for wetting compost prior to sowing seeds in it, from sitting the pot or tray in water until it is soaked and then draining it until it is not dripping, to just sowing into the compost as it comes out of the bag and just using either a single watering can pass, to just using a fine spray bottle to wet the seed area only and then placing the whole thing in a plastic bag and not watering again until the seeds sprout.

I think most people make the mistake of over rather than under watering, but what are people's views on how moist is moist when it comes to sowing in compost please?

simonwatson

Re: How moist is moist?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 13:30 »
I like to get it pretty wet the first time, but always use a free draining pot so it's not waterlogged. I never pre-wet it, even if it's dried out. I water from the top until germination, then water from the bottom from then on to encourage the roots to grow down and seek water. It works pretty well for me and I don't have an issues with germination or damping off.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 15:33 »
Likewise simonwatson :)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 16:15 »
Ditto. I give them a good drenching, then come back later to sow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 17:31 »
If the compost in the bag feels damp when I fill the pots - then I don't add more water until they feel dry. If they are going in a placcy bag to germinate then it'll be a while before they need it.

Then it's only a quick squirt from a sport water bottle  ;)

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 18:38 »
Thank you. I suppose there are many variables including how well the compost holds or drains water and the seed you are sowing - how well it copes with levels of moisture.

starry

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 19:35 »
I always go for a damp flannel kind of feeling  :D
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Totty

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 19:59 »
I water from below AFTER sowing seeds. I like the idea of the compost filling out and enclosing the seed as it takes on moisture. Things like beans then go under the bench without watering until germination, other stuff gets a prop lid put on top to stop drying out.

Totty

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 22:45 »
Reminds me of my younger days when I did a lot of poking about in old lead mines which are invariably flooded to varying degrees. We had a scale which went something like:
humid: water up to the knees
moist: water up to the thighs
damp:water up to the waist
wet: water up to the chest

happy days, although I must admit gardening has far more attractions than lead mines nowadays.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:37 »
Reminds me of my younger days when I did a lot of poking about in old lead mines which are invariably flooded to varying degrees. We had a scale which went something like:
humid: water up to the knees
moist: water up to the thighs
damp:water up to the waist
wet: water up to the chest

happy days, although I must admit gardening has far more attractions than lead mines nowadays.

:lol: :lol:

xx
Keep soil moist till seedlings established

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 12:02
by Snoop

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 36 queries.