Use of Seaweed

• 5 Replies

Sheneval

Use of Seaweed
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:05 »
I have been collecting seaweed for the last few weeks and am currrently storing it in small heaps to allow the salt to wash out prior to using it on the allotment - I would appreciate any advice on its use - eg; is it suitable for use on all crops or should it be confined to areas where potatoes are to be grown?  :happy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Use of Seaweed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37 »
This has been discussed previously; try a forum search if you don't get many responses.

For information if you haven't sought specific permission to collect the seaweed, you may not have seen this thread in our Growing FAQs document about the legality of collecting seaweed:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=86170.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 21:56 »
If you're sure sure of the legal situation in your area then gather as much as you possibly can. I live on the Cumbrian coast and use loads of it in a variety of different ways.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 22:00 by Yorkie »

Plot 1b,

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 17:50 »
Hi, If you have an asparagus bed? use as a mulch direct. Dont allow salt to wash away. Asparagus originally being a marsh plant loves a good salting over winter.

sion01

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 18:21 »
I was talking to an elderly man a few weeks ago and he used fresh seaweed around his salad's as a mulch.The salt kept the slugs at bay and didn't have an affect on the plants.I'm trying it next spring

Sheneval

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 18:53 »
Many thanks to all who have replied - useful information - a number of allotment holders have it as a mulch on their potato beds and the quite a few of the locals tell me they have been collecting it since Adam was a boy - however I'll check with the Council just in case - if they say it is illegal, I'll tell them I'll withhold my Council Tax - costs a fortune up here. 

The bit about the slugs is interesting - think I'll spread some under my Hosta in the garden - they eat it alive year after year.

xx
Seaweed meal V calcified seaweed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 22:25
by Trillium
xx
Seaweed?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 16:15
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Seaweed

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 08:09
by Kristen
xx
Seaweed

Started by jcbuz1970 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 21, 2017, 18:29
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 36 queries.