How to stop Charlie chewing his paws?

• 9 Replies

Oliveview

How to stop Charlie chewing his paws?
« on: November 02, 2012, 20:40 »
Charlie,our rescue Labrador keeps chewing his paw-  he has made it bleed. We have bathed it with antiseptic and put tea tree ointment for animals on it, but nothing stops him chewing- he was limping tonight.   
He is a ´nervous´ dog, although he is far less than he was-he was terrified of everything when we got him.  We don´t want to put a bucket on his head, as he would be really distraught I think- and he would batter us to pieces, he is bad enough without a bucket!  He is a big dog.  It is if he has gotten into the habit of chewing and we can´t break him of chewing/licking. 
I might have a go at a sticky bandage over night, bet it wouldn´t last long.

Pamela

snowdrops

Re: How to stop Charlie chewing his paws?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 21:07 »
Could you put something nasty tasting on it? Or give him something else to chew instead or distract him each time he does it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sarajane

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 00:02 »
According to my vet, chewing paws can be due to allergies and our Scamp does this on occasions during the summer if he's been in long grass.

He's a westie cross which are suseptible to allergies though.  Has Charlie been somewhere he's not used to going too, food changed etc?

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:31 »
He has chewed himself all the time we have had him, he was very scared at the refuge, he was only there a couple of weeks before I bought him home.  He was chewing himself there too.

When we went to bring him home I got a collar and lead from the shelf at the refuge and went to put it on Charlie and he threw himself to the ground terrified, we had to carry him to the car, not an easy job!  He is still very nervous, but getting better, he was wearing a collar by the next day and walking on the lead, but plastic bags being shaken, sweeping the floor, any sudden movement and he is terrified. 

He had been hit by a car, as have a lot of the dogs we get at the refuge. 

I tried bandaging his paw but it was too dangerous, he was slipping on the tiles.

When he was first fed here he launched himself at the food and lay on the ground with his head in his bowl eating really fast, he now sits and waits and eats when told and does not scoff it fast anymore. 

He is a good dog,just a bit smelly!!  What can we do to reduce the dog smell???  He is not as bad as when he arrived, he really did smell then :ohmy:

Pamela

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:59 »
Buy him some BIG bones ! :)

They may distract him .

dmg

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:49 »
Our dog used to get grass seed stuck in between his toes that made him bite his paws, we used to put large socks on him to stop him worrying his feet, as for smell we also used to rub talcolm powder through his coat as long as his skin was ok

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:40 »
Sounds like an allergy I would take him to the vet for a blood test, or you could try putting mustard on his feet that may stop him if it's just a habit or nerves, you could also try animal chews from the pet shop, but I think the vet is the way to go, regards Mike.
Mike Rixon

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 14:42 »
the trouble with bones is there are 4 dogs here, I can foresee problems!

Monday we will go to the vet with him.

Pamela

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 14:50 »
You are so kind, you really are  :)

It is worrying and upsetting to watch your dog chewing himself raw.  My niece's dog chews his paws too. Their vet was unable to shed any light on it and put it down to habit.   Those grass seeds etc can be very difficult to see can't they, so without a trip to the vet it's hard to know what the problem is.

I hope the vet is able to shed some light on the problem. Good luck  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 19:03 »
In guess it is the human equivalent of nail biting.  Timón isn´t eating tonight either, flipping dogs!

Pamela

xx
Pitter patter of little paws

Started by Eblana on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 00:09
by compostqueen
xx
I want to re-home Timón and Charlie

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 16:08
by Elvira
xx
Charlie saved a life today

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2015, 07:53
by snowdrops
thumbdown
Charlie and Timón get castrated on Thursday

16 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 13:25
by Elvira

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.