visiting a potential plot

• 19 Replies

flynn95

visiting a potential plot
« on: April 30, 2013, 15:16 »
I've just found out I can visit a plot at an allotment near to where I live on Saturday which I'm very happy about!

So, any tips on what to look for,   questions to ask or points to note? I will take photos and measurements as well.

Thank you

simonwatson

Re: visiting a potential plot
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 15:29 »
Look at the plots around to give you a general idea about how busy/active the place is. Lots of uncultivated plots means lots of weed seeds for you.

Ask about water onsite.
Ask about flooding/drainage.
Ask about the rules for things like putting up that shed or greenhouse that you want. What if you don't want that tree that someone else planted, or want a tree of your own?
Is there a shop?
What's the access like if you want a load of manure delivered?

I'm sure I could think of more. Basically, have an idea of what you want to do and when you're there imagine yourself doing it. Is there anything there/not there that makes it hard to do what you want? If so, ask.

Good luck and I hope it's what you're looking for.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 15:33 »
Is there old carpet or lots of glass? Both are soul-destroying to sort out from the soil.

More important - do the people down there smile or scowl at you? I am on a wonderful site with friendly and positive people. I know other people who are on sites with surly and obstructive people. It will really make a difference to how you view your time down there...

sav

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 15:44 »
I never thought about the people. The ones on my site are nice so it never occurred to me some people might not be.

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 15:45 »
Also think about how near a hedge or trees might be - too near and you've got a possible shade/root/dry earth problem. Then again, unless they're very close they could be OK if they provide shelter from the prevailing wind - check what direction that is before you visit (and take a compass with you to confirm the orientation of the plot).

Don't be too put off by an overgrown plot. I'd rather take on an overgrown one in a perfect position than a pristine one in a poor place.

Good luck.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 15:52 »
I never thought about the people. The ones on my site are nice so it never occurred to me some people might not be.

My neighbours are tolerable - to the left, just annoying, to the right and interfering pain in the ***! :D
We're all sociable enough though!

There's plenty of really nice peeps and those who don't have anything to do with the association and just keep themselves to themselves.
I'm in the social association gang - and friends with the resident tea maker! ;)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 16:07 »
The ideas are great below, I however didn't look at any of it, I was so excited it could have looked like a right dump and I would have said yes. It's on a hill which now causes problems with a wobbly toddler but we still love our mini hill of peace and quiet. We can't all be perfect that's why I married hubby.

I stood on the grassy hill and grinned and said it's all mine.  :wub: maybe let your head rule your heart.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 16:16 »
I stood on the grassy hill and grinned and said it's all mine.  :wub: maybe let your head rule your heart.

That is how I got my plot!
I could see it would be hard work but as you say 'it was all mine!' :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 17:04 »

That is how I got my plot!
I could see it would be hard work but as you say 'it was all mine!' :D

All the old boys said, ahh no-one wants that plot but somehow, something just said don't say no and I am so glad we took it and the one next door when it came up, and I am glad my dad took the one on the other side recently when that came up too lol it maybe hilly but it still grows good veg  :lol:

mrgrower

• Newton Heath Garden Club
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 17:18 »

Me too  :) :) :) Because I had waited so long I was just grateful and even though I knew I had my work cut out for me I decided to leave the blinkers on and deal with each bit as I went along.

I'M GLAD I DID  ::) ::)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 17:22 »
Our plots are all on a hill - the lower ones are quite steep.

One of my chicken chums built raised beds on his slope so effectively terraced it.
Hard work, but he will be able to garden well into old age as he won't need to crouch down to garden. ;)

My plot on the upper slope is a little less steep.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 17:34 »
Hello from one slope to another lol. I have something they don't .......... A slope.  :lol:

I need to post some photos again as I can't find my old post from the start, I have been rubbed out  ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 17:51 »
No-one wanted my plot, which is why I got it. It was alleged to be so badly infested with wireworm that 'everything turned to mush' and it looked like a field of clay dotted with huge stones.

Just embarked on our third year here, rarely see a wireworm these days, soil is workable in most beds and crops are just fine

Luckily we are slightly above the flood plain too.

Position is the most important imho, including being overshadowed by mature trees/hedges,  followed by distance from a water source and then stuff you can do something about, like weedy, stony, shed/no shed etc
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 20:14 »
All good questions if you have a choice of plot.  I suspect most of us get a choice of one plot, take it or leave it. So, how bad would it have to be to walk away and be prepared to go to the bottom of the waiting list again?

Question would be. "If I turn this one down, would I got to the bottom of the list, or still stay at the top?"

I would only turn down a plot if it was in  deep shade under the trees.  Everything else you can sort of cope with. (except persistent vandalism - which you wont find out until too late :( )
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

flynn95

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 21:34 »
Thanks for all your replies everyone, much appreciated.

To be honest I think I'll take it regardless of the conditions because waiting lists are long here, although the issue of overhanging trees could be a problem I suppose

Lots of things for me to mull over and discuss when I go on Saturday.  Is it presumptious to take the fee with me?  :)

I'll let you know what it is like.  I'm off to excitedly read a couple of allotment books I downloaded on the Kindle this afternoon and get inspiration   :)

clip
Potential plot questions

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 16:50
by Yorkie
xx
Visiting Allotments....

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 21:40
by moz
xx
Potential to veg newbie.

Started by joyfull on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 09:26
by joyfull
clip
Potential pest identification?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2014, 15:34
by GreyScales

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 36 queries.