Plot Etiquette

• 6 Replies

theplotbegins

Plot Etiquette
« on: June 15, 2018, 13:53 »
Allotment newbie currently considering layout of a half plot and wondering what the etiquette is for putting up larger items like sheds, poly-tunnels and fruit cages.

The tenancy agreement stipulates maximum size(s), and the most logical positions seem to be on the plot boundaries.

Basic good manners indicate talking to plot neighbours before making any decisions.

Any advice welcome...

mrs bouquet

Re: Plot Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 14:23 »
I admire your good manners and I think its a good idea to chat with your adjoining plotters.
I   suppose an important thing to consider is whether you may be blotting out their sunlight etc.  But it sounds like you are considering these things very wisely,and I wish you good luck and lots of enjoyment.  regards Mrs Bouquet.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 20:44 »
remember you need to access all around on your own plot/path.
How many use polytunnels? as the weather should be better your way than further north i.e is it worth the expensive.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 08:37 »
My site doesn't allow sheds or polytunnels but does allow fruit cages  which are netted and therefore don't shut out light. One shade problem though is fruit tree's that are allowed to grow full size (Our plots are quite small) One got removed when plot changed hands next to me and it made quite a difference to mine.
I reckon the most important thing about being nice to be next to on a allotment site is to keep your weeds down !! Speaking from the heart as the one next to me had weeds taller then me!! Thank goodness it has at last been taken over by someone who cares.
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 15:22 »
Site it on the south side so it mostly shadows your own plot, rather than someone else's - our rules say they mustn't shadow other plots.

al78

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 22:49 »
General guidelines are don't construct anything which may block sunlight to nearby plots, and if you have communal grass paths between plots, someone has to go along with a mower periodically, so don't build anything which may jut out and obstruct mowing of such paths. If you are constructing something large, you may want to check with the committee (if you have a committee) that it will be ok.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 09:32 »
remember you need to access all around on your own plot/path.
How many use polytunnels? as the weather should be better your way than further north i.e is it worth the expensive.

Good to plan like this, even if you don't get everything in place straight away. We live in the "soft south" but do have polytunnels, which are well worth the time and money as they provide opportunities for growing over winter as well as extending the season at either end. If you do choose to have one, I can recommend covering the section of ground it will go on with weighted down lightproof tarpaulins. We left the ground under our second one for a year like this , and when we took it up this Spring, the ground was weed free and easy to dig trenches because we'd not walked on it at all Ours are sited along the plot boundary with space to access behind to keep weeds clear, as well as open and close the vent "windows"and have landscape membrane and wood chip along this pathway. They take the prevailing wind broadside one and are aligned roughly N/S  so shadows are mostly in our neighbour's plot at sunrise and ours at the end of the day. They are happy with this.
Good luck with your new plot … take slots of pictures as it will change so quickly  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Radio etiquette

Started by sospan on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post June 04, 2019, 18:45
by snowdrops
xx
Has the BBC lost the plot?

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 22:01
by al78
xx
Plot Eviction

Started by phelantank on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post August 25, 2020, 19:25
by Yorkie
xx
Think AndyRVTR has lost the plot!!!

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2021, 09:34
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 46 queries.