Planting out brassicas

• 6 Replies

Elaine G

Planting out brassicas
« on: August 27, 2018, 16:02 »
So on impulse  :D I bought some brassica plugs. They are described as winter veg but they are very small.
I have put them into pots for now and have been clearing a couple of beds that have not been used this year.

So my first question is what do I add to the bed nutrient wise. I can get bagged manure from the garden centre
(no access to 'real' manure here) or I have chicken pellets. But when I grew brassicas before -a good while ago -I must have added lime as there is still some in the shed! Can you have lime and bagged manure together?

The second question is can anyone tell me how tall kale reflex and PSB Rudolph grow please?

There is the added complication that I am away for a week from the 1st, so although she doesn't know it yet I plan to leave them in my daughters garden till I get back. So they will have to contend with slugs, cabbage whites and 2 small boys who are mad about football  :lol:

Thanks
Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

jaydig

Re: Planting out brassicas
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 16:11 »
Having lost all of my brassicas last winter because I planted them in an area I'd not used for brassicas before, I would suggest checking that where you want to plant them is club root free.  If in doubt, then it might be wise to give the ground a good dose of lime and rake it in a week or so before planting, then I usually dust inside the planting hole with more lime when I plant the brassicas.   It's not advisable to add both lime and manure at the same time, so if time is too short to allow a gap between applying both, then perhaps it would work if you used the lime first, and a little while after planting you could then add a top dressing of blood, fish and bone, raked in around the plants.  This is a long, slow acting fertiliser, and my brassicas seem to have thrived on it this year.
Just one suggestion, and I'm sure that others will all have their own favourite ways , but this seems to suit the ground I work.

Elaine G

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 18:34 »
Thanks jaydig for your reply.

I have no idea about clubroot, it’s ages since I attempted to grow brassicas, and what with slugs and caterpillars I decided never again 😀 At least one of the beds has never had brassicas in. My neighbours seem to grow reasonable looking crops.

So I will add some lime this week and a little in each hole when I plant them out. Assuming they survive the week with my grandsons!  Then add BFB later which I also already have.

Thanks again
Elaine

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:59 »
we usually grow a crop of spring greens sowing the seed in plugs then potting into pots to overwinter then in the tunnel or greenhouse come spring plant them out  into a razed bed same we also grow winter cauliflowers and onions both spring and bu8lb from seed using the same method

with I add good results the only downside this season was after planting out we had that very dry weather and with no water available the crops did suffer

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 13:13 »
Just to add, Reflex Kale was good for me last year. Tasty but not over powering. Heeled in well, it stood happily all winter. I too am growing Rudolph this year, but can't comment as its the first time!

A good strong net and supports should help with protection from both cabbage whites and footballs!
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 20:29 »
Thanks for your reply I Love Spuds. I have not grown kale before so good to know it tastes good.

Fortunately they only have to survive a week of footballs, tennis balls and any other hazards two small boys might possess, then they can come back to my house for a while till they have some established roots.

rowlandwells yes it has been a funny old year so far hasn't it. Another dry week forecast for us next week too.

Elaine

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 15:50 »
hope you do well with you brassicas Elaine i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you good luck RW ;)

xx
Planting out brassicas

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:58
by JayG
xx
Planting out Brassicas

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 19:51
by mumofstig
xx
Planting out times for brassicas

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 19:56
by Dopey113
xx
Liming brassicas after planting

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 21:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 39 queries.