Advice on best rotavator please?

• 5 Replies

plum crumble

Advice on best rotavator please?
« on: December 28, 2011, 21:01 »
I am in the lovely and highly unusual position of possibly being able to buy a rotavator for the lottie in the Spring. What would be the suggested model to get? I would rotavate about 180m2 each season.  thanks for any help!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Trillium

Re: Advice on best rotavator please?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 22:18 »
The larger the tines, the deeper the machine will dig. Some folk try to force their smaller tined machines in too deep and tend to wear them out quickly so its a matter of how deep your want to go and how hard your soil is.

Another important factor is - do you have any back problems? If so, then you should stick with a rear-tined, self-pulling machine to minimize wear on the operator. Some of the small tined machines look easy to operate but when push comes to shove, anyone with back problems will definitely be hurting as the little machines are quite peppy and need controlling. Notice that its never old geezers doing the video ads, mostly youngish folk.

As for brands, I'd ask fellow plotters (if you have them) what brands they've had good luck with. Some makes ride on old reputations and now are objects for frequent repairs. I'd also avoid most foreign generic brands since getting parts can be a nightmare.

plum crumble

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 23:01 »
thanks Trillium - I most certainly do have back problems, so your advice will be heeded!

ex-cavator

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 23:38 »
I'm sure most folk will have their preferences, but you get what you pay for. I had an old Mountfield M1 that broke in half in the middle and then a Wolseley Merry Tiller that had countless problems. In desperation I shelled out £230 on a 4.5HP Honda F501 that starts first time, runs like an absolute dream, is comparatively quiet, and tackles absolutely anything you throw at it with up to three sets of times on it. It's also lighter in weight and far better balanced than the others, so less of a strain to use - relatively speaking. But any rotavator worth it's salt is going to be a handful until you master the technique  ;)

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:08 »
Have a look at Alko rotavators. They still made, German, parts are easy to get, reasonably priced. I bought the smaller one as my spine is ruined, and have been very happy with it.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 15:31 »
thanks Trillium - I most certainly do have back problems, so your advice will be heeded!

I don't have any particular back problems but when my mother gave me a fairly new, small, front-tined rotovator, I quickly realized how sensitive my back could be. It was sold to her as easy to start and operate. Well, it starts on first pull everytime; however, its like trying to control a snarling, starving boar desperate to escape. I HATE using it.

Mum then bought a rear-tined Troy rotovator which I use on her garden for her. It took a few minutes to adapt to it, after that it was fine. No back problems at all, just tired feet as mum has a half acre garden  :wub:

xx
Rotavator advice

Started by Plot30 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 12:44
by Currysniffa
xx
Newby Needs Rotavator Advice Please

Started by VirginGrower on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 20:52
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Advice Needed On Rotavator

Started by Blister Bob on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 23:52
by Blister Bob
xx
Advice for rotavator newbie

Started by raeburg on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 07:15
by Kristen

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.