Broody Hen

• 4 Replies

curries

• Experienced Member
Broody Hen
« on: May 09, 2011, 18:19 »
Hi, my 10mth old speckledy has been broody for 25 days now.  I removed the eggs straight away and she has been sitting on nothing since then.  I put her out every morning and she has a quick drink and nibble and goes straight back in.  At the weekends I shut her out of the house all day once the others have laid, but as soon as I open the hatch she is straight back in. 

I have thought about getting her some hatching eggs but no doubt the minute I get some she will stop being broody and I am also worried that it will take too much out of her to sit for another 3 weeks.  Would this be a daft idea?
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

rachelr

Re: Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 18:28 »
i put mine in a cat basket with food. If the weather is ok place on top of bricks to airiate her nether regions.

Sometimes i even dunk her before putting her in the cage.

I then let her out in the afternoon as her broodiness was causing me to have to hunt down eggs as the others didnt like it lol

This has not stopped her being broody but we are in our 2nd week and she is now not returning to brood if there are no eggs in the coop.

hen maiden

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 20:41 »
Hi,

I have a year old cuckoo maran who has been on the nest for two days. She came out this morning for some food but tonight,even though I held corn right under her beak she didn't move a muscle. I don't know what's under her today, I think the other girls must have managed to get in early and lay their eggs cos I haven't found any anywhere, but yesterday she was laying on nothing. I would get some fertilised eggs but we are going away for a fortnight soon !! what should I do, if anything?

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 21:00 »
keep taking her out and make sure she is fed and watered as they cn starve or become really dehydrated.

curries

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 22:24 »
I have tried everything, the only thing left to try was fertilised eggs so i have now gone for that option and we will see what happens.  I am making sure she eats and drinks twice a day which she is rather reluctant about.

The eggs I have got are pullet eggs, as these are small are they likely to hatch sooner or does it not work like that?

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 36 queries.