Hello everyone - newbie here!

• 5 Replies
Hello everyone - newbie here!
« on: July 29, 2011, 16:12 »
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a duck however i would really like to go through the process of getting an egg and incubating it and then keeping the duck once it has grown up.

Could anyone advise on this please? In particular, is there anywhere i could find an egg to do this with?

Also any advice on keeping ducks would be appreciated, like i said i am a beginner and would like to learn all i can before taking the plunge :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hello everyone - newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 16:32 »
please don't just get one they are social creatures and need company of their own kind.
Welcome by the way  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 16:54 »
Oh yes, sorry i was planning to get two as my fiancee and I want one each (like big kids really!) but we wanted to make sure we did all our research before going into it :)

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 17:08 »
Oh yes, sorry i was planning to get two as my fiancee and I want one each (like big kids really!) but we wanted to make sure we did all our research before going into it :)

:lol:
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 17:47 »
ducks tend to be seasonal in their laying - they usually start some time in February (Kate or Caralou will tell you the date when they log on hopefully), there are lots of breeds to choose from - runners are comical, call are cute, and Cayuga ducks start off black as do their eggs and then change to white as they age and go through the season  :D.
You can also get ducks with pompoms - Bali ducks and ducks for eating - for example Muscovy ducks.
To start out I wouldn't hatch them yourself but buy them slightly older 20 weeks ish and read up as much as possible first. Hatching them yourself could result in you having a couple of drakes  :(

buttony22

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 19:47 »
i have 2 aylesbury ducklings for my children they r great and make very cute noises not to loud, unlike my chooks i have had ducks b4 they need a bit more room than chooks but are very sociable and dont have to have a pond.  mine have a large washing up bowl which i filll with water and shred lettuce into it so they act like wild ducks feeding from the water.....i also give them duck weed from my pond which also comes with snails which they get very excited over my ducklings are about 9 weeks old and are doing well think about getting something a bit older than an egg its still great seeing them practically double in size in a week good luck  :)

xx
Newbie here!

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 19:15
by feelingbroody
xx
HELP For a Newbie

Started by hazelize_uk on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 22:20
by hazelize_uk
xx

Started by Bailz on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 07:20
by joyfull
xx

Started by tez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 11:25
by tez

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.