Cooking apples for cider?

• 5 Replies

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
Cooking apples for cider?
« on: August 04, 2010, 23:47 »
Evening all
I'm thinking of using the surplus apples from our Bramley for making cider. I can possibly supplement them with some of the apples from our Russet (although they won't be fully ripe) and few Worcester Pearmains, but there won't be many of these. I'd guess that the best ratio I can achieve is likely to be two desserts to 10 cookers.

Will this make an acceptable home-made cider and is there anything I need to do to take account of the apples I'm using?

Cheers,
Chuffy

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
Re: Cooking apples for cider?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 21:56 »
Your bramleys must be early?

10:1 is very high, but then again I dont really count.

Just a good mix of cookers,eaters and crabs.

Dont pick them from the tree, only windfalls, but you can store them to make up a batch.

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 23:19 »
Thanks Mr Beekeeper.

The Bramleys are starting to fall off the tree already, so I guess that they are nearly ripe. I assume that your 'windfalls only' rule is to make sure that they are as ripe as possible, yes? I'll probably end up freezing quite a lot, at least until I've got enough for a good pressing.

Might have to go scavenging in the hedges to see if I can find any crabs...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:32 »
my bramleys are nowhere near ready yet.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jimbeekeeper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58 »
my bramleys are nowhere near ready yet.

Snap! Thats why I asked the question.  Falling off at this stage I would say is just natures way of thinging.

Windfall is as ripe as possible, to the point that you can push your thumb through them, maxium sugar content.

No need to freeze the apples if you store them well.

FYI I use an electric garden shredder to chop/pul up the apples whole and then an electric cloths spinner to spin off the juice.

I freeze a lot of juice for makeing cider through-out the year, or simpley as apple juice.

JohnB

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:47 »
Hi I have read a few times that Bramleys make poor cider apples but I am doing about 12 gallons at the moment of pure bramley or 50/50 mixed. You can add pasteurised apple juice to change the flavour AND TO ADD SUGAR. Apple juice is just sugar and water add at the first racking add at least a litre this should change abv from 1.042 to about 1.060 which is much closer to what a cider should be. Ignore the person who said do not pick from tree that's just rubbish unless you are going to pulp using the bucket and 4 inch square piece of wood. Use a garden shredder this produces the perfect shredded apple (in terms size). Also some apples will be damaged as they come down from the tree and will be ruined in a day (soft dessert apples bramleys will last a while). Furthermore quite a few people say you should make the cider immediately you pick as the apples changer if left. NOTE fresh supermarket veg has 40% less vitamins and minerals than frozen so clearly you will have change in apples left laying about. Of Course this may not always be for the worse. I would also suggest not mixing till you have got to the juice stages and blend the juice not the apples. This is considered by all to be the easiest for amateurs. Professional blend the ciders and this is supposed to very difficult???
Anyway good luck

xx
apples for cider

Started by Bozwell on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 12:53
by JohnB
xx
Apples, Cider What a year

Started by Robster on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 06:48
by Robster
xx
Can you use bruised fallen apples for cider

Started by rik242 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 23:27
by villiers
xx
Cider-Help

Started by Fen on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 22:21
by Old Whiskers

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.