Fox hole

• 9 Replies

noshed

Fox hole
« on: August 19, 2010, 16:13 »
A fox has dug a giant hole under my loganberries. I was going to dig them up anyway in the autumn so I'm not too worried. I was just wondering about filling the hole in. Is it safe to assume the foxes have gone? - I don't want to bury them alive.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Paul Plots

Re: Fox hole
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 16:22 »
You wont.... they'll dig themselves out if they are in there which is probably unlikely.

I have a patch of soil that held a compost heap for years - the soil is wonderful there - presently I have a small stack of old timber (remnants of a replaced shed) there along side of a path.

There are now four fox holes! Despite filling in and poking barbed rose-prunings into the holes the foxes keep coming back for more and digging it all out again.  >:(

I had thought of setting up a hide and going into business offering "nature view" sessions for those so inclined to turn up late with a torch and a flask.  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 16:22 »
Noshed,

When do you know for sure the last time the hole wasn't there? Also, is that distinctive fox aroma present in the area?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

noshed

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 22:24 »
It's probably been there about a month and I haven't had much of a sniff I must admit.

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 06:23 »
If you flatten the earth around the fox hole or put sand on the ground you will be able to tell if the fox hole is occupied by checking for foot prints. Alternatively block the hole off with grass, bracken etc and this will also indicate the same if it's been moved. Check the day after doing one of the above as they generally only come out of their holes at night especially if your in a rural location.

noshed

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 09:30 »
Thanks I'll have a closer look at the weekend.
These are hard Walthamstow foxes - I expect they've got a tele and sofa down there, the hole is big enough.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 10:56 »
These are hard Walthamstow foxes - I expect they've got a tele and sofa down there, the hole is big enough.

:lol: Whilst feasting on barbeque remains.  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 20:49 »
Just fill the hole in... providing you're not using concrete I wouldn'y worry - they'll dig their way out if they are in and in if they are out!  :blink: If you see what I mean  ::)

madcat

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12 »

:lol: Whilst feasting on barbeque remains.  ::)

Their Blockbuster account is probably in Noshed's name!   :D :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 15:04 »
If only I could encourage my almost-resident foxes to dig over my half-plot it'd be great. There's boulders of clay waiting to be jumped about on but the blighters wont go near it.   :(

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 30 queries.