Dog poo compost

• 9 Replies

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Dog poo compost
« on: March 04, 2008, 21:10 »
Hi Guy's and Girls

I have three dog's that produce a hell of a lot of poo. I read last year about a composter for dog poo. I understand that it is no good for use of veg and the like but would it be useable on flowers??

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

shaun

Dog poo compost
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 21:12 »
no use what so ever jim,best in a plastic bag and in the wheelie bin
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

poultrygeist

Dog poo compost
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 22:42 »
We once bought a dog loo for the garden. I dug the hole halfway to the core, line dit with stones and gravel. We started filling and by the end of the week, we were getting alarmingly full and the activating liquid was bloomin expensive and didn't last long.

Needless to say, we decided to go with what Shaun suggests. It might compost in several years but is otherwise a definite candidate for landfill.

Rob

mkhenry

Re: Dog poo compost
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 23:28 »
Quote from: "jimroden"
Hi Guy's and Girls

I have three dog's that produce a hell of a lot of poo. I read last year about a composter for dog poo. I understand that it is no good for use of veg and the like but would it be useable on flowers??

Jim

Dog muck is a very nasty thing that should never be left in any area used by children.  It causes blindness via the worms etc, that live on and in it.  It can also pass on infections to other animals.  The worms can life in the ground waiting for another host for some time . So even old muck is still dangerous.
Dog composters take care of that,and all though not cheap to run are a very safe disposal method, much better than putting it "in the bin".

However I would think twice about having even a dog composter if my garden was frequented by children.  Should your dog foul you garden it would be wise to disinfect the area as soon as possible to avoid a build up of any nasties. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 08:15 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Hi Guy's and Girls

Jim

Dog muck is a very nasty thing that should never be left in any area used by children.  It causes blindness via the worms etc, that live on and in it.  It can also pass on infections to other animals.  The worms can life in the ground waiting for another host for some time . So even old muck is still dangerous.
Dog composters take care of that,and all though not cheap to run are a very safe disposal method, much better than putting it "in the bin".

However I would think twice about having even a dog composter if my garden was frequented by children.  Should your dog foul you garden it would be wise to disinfect the area as soon as possible to avoid a build up of any nasties. :wink:

yea this is the response I was expecting. The thing is with my allotment is it is going to be an extension to my garden as a child minder I want to be able to take the children down. As for the worms I am well aware of the danger these thing can do  :evil:  :evil:  I worm my dog's every few weeks as a routine.  They are working dogs so are out and about all the time hence the regular flea and worming.

I will give the composted a mess I thought composting would kill the blighters but obviously not

Lee1978

Dog poo compost
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 18:01 »
:shock:  :shock:

bellhill15a

composting dog poo
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 20:33 »
Hi
We too have 2 large dogs producing much poo. We used a dog composter which really could not keep up with the amount of poo the dogs made. We now resort to bags in bins :D

compostqueen

Dog poo compost
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 22:39 »
Green cones I think are safe for dog poo but it's not a composter, it's a digester which renders the poo safe to dissipate into the soil.  There's no bi-product as you get with compost but it's better there than in the dustbin

mkhenry

Dog poo compost
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 22:51 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
Green cones I think are safe for dog poo but it's not a composter, it's a digester which renders the poo safe to dissipate into the soil.  There's no bi-product as you get with compost but it's better there than in the dustbin

Compostqueen is correct, but they are no good on heavy clay.  And I dont think that they can handle the daily muck from 3 dogs  If you decide on one its worth checking with your local council, because some have a cone discount scheme,  and you could save a lot of money. :wink:

weeeed

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:10 »
Hi Guy's and Girls

Yes it is possible and I am thinking of making my own dog poo wormery as £30 from Stoke seems a bit high. Apparently you start off the same, wet ripped up cardboard then your tiger worms (cant spell dendro---) some well rotted dog poo and off you go. It does specify that no other type of waste be used and only for flowers not edibles. Think about this. All the veg anyone buys from Africa is definately grown in any kind of poo they can get hold of and very smelly it is too! Spaniels produce such a lot of the stuff you got to find a use for it somehow!!! :lol:  :wink:  :roll:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

xx
Compost

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 20:10
by Annie
clip
compost -

Started by jeannie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 09:39
by jeannie
xx
compost

Started by bigandy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 13:50
by mumofstig
xx
B+Q compost

Started by steven c on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2022, 12:36
by Growster...

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.